1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumagen DVI or HDP or DVDO HD+?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lobo, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ive just picked up an Optoma H78 and am looking to add a scaler to the setup. My questions is, what are the real world differences between the Lumagen DVI and HDP? Is the improvement in picture quality using the HDP much greater than if using the DVI? IS worth £500 extra?

Also, how does the DVDO compare?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    IIRC the DVI will only 'passthrough' a HD picture, but the HDP will process the HD picture. Therefore this makes the HDP more future proof and IMO worth the extra cost.

Mark.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    The DVI will process HD through it's DVI port. It only outputs up to 768P. It has smaller FPGA which means that it cannot run the more advanced scaling algorithms of the HDP and it will not be able to benefit from the HD flm detection they are working on for the HDP and HDP Pro. The HDP is indeed the unit of choice for most folk.

In the article section of my website there is a description of the differences between each model.

Gordon

4. big_marcelo

big_marcelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the DVDO HD+ and I think its a great unit - you would not regret owning it.

The Lumagen DVI does the job very, very well for plasmas with resolutions up to 1366 x 768p - handles HDCP AND transcodes component input to DVI output .... this the DVDO can't do!

In Australia the price the I got the DVDO HD+ for was cheaper than the lumagen DVI ...... If I could get a similar pricing (even a bit more) for the LUmagen HDCP I would have gone for that.....

Your other option would be the new DVDO VP30 - I would put the VP30 in a similar league to the Lumagen HDP - different options (HDMI vs DVI vs BNC), etc.... I haven't seen the new user interface on the VP30 (or the lumagen) so I cannot comment on that.

What is normally speculated is that if you intend to calibrate the equipment yourself the DVDO is generally accepted as being easier to use - but you shouldn't sell yourself short just because of these claims.

If I could afford I would have bought the Lumagen HDCP versus the DVDO HD+ then ... with the new DVDO VP30 ..... would have to compare all over again!!

5. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    problem is that the Lumagens got very odd dimensions on their chassis, they are not deep at all which makes it hard to put other things on top of it.

6. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Then put the Lumagen on the very top!
    :p