Lumagen DVI inputs

bcopping

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a new dvd player and scaler in the near future and have seen that some of the upcoming dvd players will output a 576i output through HDMI.

But I have read somewhere on this forum that DVI cannot take a 576i signal, yet all the current lumagen scalers only have dvi inputs. Can they accept 576i if a HDMI -> DVI cable is used?

They certainly can. I was doing this a year ago with an Arcam DV79. (BTW, other resolutions work as well 480i, 720p, 1080i etc).

Regards,
Ian

Remember, that if your DVD is outputting HDCP via DVI/HDMI, then only the digital outputs will be enabled on the Lumagen.

Hi I am very new to this whole thing of HDMI-DVI-COMPONENT outputs could someone please give me some more information about what the difference is why are some 567p and others 576i? any information would be fantastic :) I have a DVD player which i have hooked up to my 50" Sony 3LCD and its output is 576i is that good - bad right - wrong ?

I have an Arcam DV79 going into a Lumagen HDP. As the Lumagen has superior processing to the Arcam you just makesure it is outputing a 576 interlaced signal. Then the Lumagen does the work in my case converting it to a 768P 59.94Hz output.

Obviously without a Kumagen in the chain you would set your source to output a progressive signal.

Fidelio

Question to Fidelio and ihan - on the DV79, is the HDMI output encrpted with HDCP when outputting 480i or 576i?

Allan

All HDMI players 'should' encript the output with HDCP if the disc being played has copy protection on it, ie a prerecorded DVD. A DVD made at home from camcorder footage or recorded from the TV will not have HDCP encription when played.

Mark.

Mark,

Many thanks, I wasn't sure if encryption was only applied if the output was upscaled or was progressive. So this means if i want to put the interlaced HDMI output through a scaler I need to be thinking about getting a scaler that can handle HDCP.

Allan

The Lumagens handle HDCP OK. However, not all dislays do! So make sure your display is HDCP compliant.

Fidelio

Fidelio,

I should be ok at the display, it's a H79 projector which should handle HDCP.

I'm looking out for a scaler and DVD player. I've been deliberating between getting an older dvd player (DV88 for example) and having it (and the scaler) SDI modified or a newer player, like the DV79, and using HDMI. I might be better going the SDI route and as I won't require the HDCP capability, looking out for a cheap iScanHD . I think overall the cost will end up being about the same but SDI might have the edge in picture quality.

Allan

I cannot fault my DV79 when outputing through HDMI. Why not utilise this option rather than having the expense of SDI mods? For me the choice of scaler was between the Lumagen and iscan. I won't go into which is better than the other but just say I do a lot of research before making a purchase and chose Lumagen and haven't regreted it.

Fidelio

DVDs and scalers with HDMI are generally more expensive than those without, so the SDI route could still be cost-effective.

Only think is, those scalers will not be able to fully take advantage of HD video sources.

Just my opinion, Nick

Fidelio,

As Nick said, going for a non-HDMI DVD player and older scaler without HDCP compatibility will probably off-set the cost of the SDI mods. I'm fairly new to the SDI / HDMI debate as I've been using HTPC exclusively for the last four years but there seems to be a consensus of opinion here in the video processor forum and in the DVD player forum that SDI has the potential to be the better of the two - by how much I'm not sure.

If I went for an older scaler I agree I would be loosing out on future compatibility with HD sources. At the moment I'm only considering DVD and want to satisfy my curiosity to see if a player+scaler is going to outperform my HTPC. If it does, I'll keep it for now and invest in a compatible scaler when HD is here and settled but that could be a while yet I think.

Allan

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom