1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumagen DVI - I reckon this would stump Einstein.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr_Wistles, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,949
    Where do I begin,

I bought a Lumagen DVI scaler from Liam yesterday and have spent the past 15 hours trying to set it up. The picture (the ones that I can get on the screen) looks absolutely pathetic.

My setup is as follows.

Denon 3910 via component (interlaced) to Scaler. DVI out from scaler with vga converter to vga input on Sony HS50 projector.

I also have a pc plugged into the Scaler via DVI.

May I first say that I am not a stupid man, I know a fare bit about HC (so I thought) and I did a fair bit of research before buying the scaler.

Well nothing could of prepared me for this. I do not have a clue!!!!, the manual for the scaler is written almost purely in acronyms and the user interface must be the most unfriendly thing I have ever used.

I can get the picture on the dvd player to the screen but the picture looks really dark and far too colourful. I have gone through the manual and employed all of the AVIA tests that it recommends but the picture is absolutely rubbish and looked FAR FAR FAR better when I was just outputting component straight to the PJ via my DENON 3805.

Secondly there is the pc, it just will not fit to the screen, I have tried every single output resolution on the scaler coupled with every resolution on the pc and the best I can get is fullscreen but it is missing about an inch (normal monitor size so about 8 inches on the projector screen) from all four sides.

Is there somewhere which explains how to setup this scaler easier?, as I have had enough and the thought of wasting my whole weekend trying to work this out when I want to be relaxing and enjoying my improved picture is killing me!!!!!!

Cheers, Russell

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
  3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Russell,

Sorry you're having problems. Have a look at the setup guide. Also I'll try to get time later to do a cfg file that should work with your projector and give you pixel for pixel on the analogue input you are using. To make this easier please email me.

convergentav@btinternet.com

I'm out most of day but when I get back in I'll try to knock something up. You'll need to download the cfg editor from Lumagens website.

Gordon

4. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,949
    I have downloaded the editor and I'll pm you my mail address.

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi Russel,

apologies for not loading on the Sony resolution settings in the rush to get this to you for the weekend! Replied to your email this morning but for the forum benefit:

the simplest way to setup a PC input is to set the PC resolution to the same resolution as the projector (1280x720 in this case) and on the scaler IN menu highlight the SCALE option and select PASS-THRU. This way the Lumagen does nothing except route the signal and convert it to analogue for your projector. Now you can ignore what the Lumagen is doing and concentrate on getting the PC resolution to fit the projector. Not a bit PC user me, but powerstrip will allow you to customise a resolution. I assume you can just tap in the settings the Lumagen is using (in the Sony config file).

to adjust for contrast and brightness, first get the projector to marry up to the Lumagen. In the TPAT (test patterns) menu (MISC>TPATS) bring up the black and white levels pattern, and adjust contrast and brightness on the projector accordingly. Leave colour, sharpness etc etc to default. Now to marry the sources to the Lumagen, use your AVIA or DVE disc to bring up a 100IRE white field from the DVD player (white box, black background). On the Luma remote select MENU 0 9 6 6 and the scaler will automatically adjust grayscales. As a cheat for digi tv, take the RGB scart lead from your Sky or cable box and plug it into the DVD player and repeat the process to set grayscales for Sky! Should be close enough (would be nice if Sky could broadcast a channel that consists of just this pattern). If the picture is still alarmingly dark make sure your video levels (0IRE or 7.5IRE) are set correctly in the DVD player, Luma, and projector. And also that now you are using the PC input on the rojector it hasn't defaulted to some ultra dark gamma setting!

to fix your colour issues you can do a pretty good setup with a test disc and associated filters to aid adjustment of red, green and blue colr/hue settings. Without filters and test patterns from a disk you won't be able to do much accept to adjust overall colour by eye.

specific to the HS50 and setting 50Hz pixel matching, I remember something about telling the projector the resolution of the input signal. When it is recieving a PC image you can go into the menu on the projector and adjust the signal properties - ensure if is set for computer input, then adjust "H-size" which wants to correspond to the HTOT value the Lumagen is using. This is in the OUT menu, select TIMINGS to view it. Will be something like 1388. Gordon can correct me here but I'm sure there was a funny step like this to make sure the Lumagen image filled the screen correctly.

With all this you should be able to get a very, very good image. However, for a very, very, very, very good image you will need an ISF calibration! It will do all of the above setup for you, plus finite adjustments that can only be made with the combination of the right tools, and the right amount of knowledge and experience to use them!!

6. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank fook i got you to set my HDP up is all i can bloody well say Liam!!

Sorry, but unless you are really good at this sorta thing pay the experts to do it for you..there is a livley thread on hte whole issue of setting up video porcessors (yes, why dont we use the proper name as they do whole lots more than just scale).