Luddite seeks Best HD CRT set >= 36" for long term Relationship

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Garfield, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope I don't want plasma and I don't want LCD the technology is too immature and the quality frankly not good enough for the cost.

I want a good ol 36" CRT set that is HD, 100Hz and maybe digital ready. My order of preference is

Picture Quality, must be 36" or greater.
    Sound.
    At least 2 RGB scart and perhaps optical in / out.
    Appearence.

Couldn't care less about text never use it. Not bothered about picture in picture either.

Don't want a stand either.

I'd prefer a set though that isn't too obsolete that I may be able to pick up for silly money in open box type sales.

Any suggestions ....

PS : I may look at rear projection 36" and over if somebody can point me toward one that doesn't need to be viewed in the dark and has A1 resolution, all the ones I see seem to be out of focus or dark.

2. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are no direct view CRTs larger than 36 inches. If you want bigger, you need to look at rear projection models.

The only partially HDTV compatible direct view CRTs currently available in the UK are made by JVC, and some forum members have not been impressed with the SD picture quality. They only accept 1080i, via component. There is no DVI-HDCP or HDMI port, so they are not truly HD Ready. The same applies to the CRT RPTVs I saw on sale a few months back which claimed to HD Ready despite not being HDCP compliant.

In other words, if you want a CRT HDTV with the best picture quality and the required connectivity, and you want a choose from a range of manufacturers and models, you're going to have to wait. One magazine I read recently claimed that there will never be a market for CRT HDTVs in the UK. That remains to be seen. Certainly most manufacturers seem to be focusing their attentions on newer display technologies with higher profit margins such as plasma, LCD, DLP etc. If you want a relatively low cost TV with good picture quality, then a CRT is still a good choice if you can find one, especially if Sky goes with 1080i broadcasts, since CRTs are the only displays (other than ALiS panels) that can display 1080i natively.

3. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A 36" would do fine I am after > or = too.

If there are no decent HD I will look for a V Good non CRT set that can handle progressive scan well - suggestions also welcome.

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    The JVC won't take HDCP, but neither will it be in the minority - there will be a way....
    Toshiba and Panasonic do some good 36" progressive scan CRT TVs.
    A DLP rear projection TV may also fit the bill.

5. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys may eventually get the 34 inch models CRT models available here in America. The Sonys are especially nice. Pretty cheap too. They weigh 200lbs! :)

6. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Do the HD CRTs in the US have 1920x1080 native screen res? They never mention what they are on their websites. I'm just assuming they are SD sets which can accept HD signals and down convert them to SD. I'm I wrong?

Wil

7. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, they don't downcovert HD. They are actual HD sets and quality and detail varies from model to model. They are all simply labeled or speced as 1080i. The best are from Sony with fine pitched models that have lines so small and narrow that you can barely see them.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    ABit do you think the SONY Tube is better than the Quintrix SR tube in panny and JVC?

9. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any thoughts on the Toshiba 48 Picture frame 3's too - this is at the top of the list at the moment followed by the PD30 panasonic - which would you choose?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Panny PD30 has gone mate its the PD50 now.............. A mate of mine has the JVC H36P38 and its superb

11. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I had the HV32P37 which I too thought was superb - apart from the poor QC on geometry issues. After 3 really poor sets I got one that was spot on - and promptly expired 48 hour after delivery. At the time I decided enough was enough and just got a cheapo 28" CRT to tide me over until 1080p sets become the norm at affordable prices, but I do miss the pic quality of the JVc - especially when watching good quality Freeview broadcasts or DVD's, as the DIST features on the JVC really did give the impression that you were seeing more detail in the picture (and it didn't look fake like Phi'lip's Pixel Plus).

If JVC did a newer model with HDMI or DVI-HDCP in (and the geometry QC was better) I'd be extremely tempted to look at one with a view to buying.

12. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't say what "tube" is being used in the Panasonic and the JVC models I've seen here but the picture on the Sonys are clearly superior, even on their non-fine pitched models. Of course some people are driven mad by the appearance of the trinitron's aperture grille wires.

13. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just wish I was able to take advantage of US prices - you guys get it cheap !!

I did a side by side with a Panny and a Sony and it was tough to decide which was better, trouble is most TV outlets here don't have a clue how to set them up properly i.e. for component etc and those that do add 60% to the price.

You look at the TV's in the store and the pictures are real bad, the LCD's etc look good - why? - because they are all playing DVD's .... the TV's get rubbishy RF so that the sales team can push the plasmas and LCD.

I'd love to put a Panasonic 36PD30/50, Toshiba 36ZP48 and a Sony KV-36HS510 together (4:3 format), all configured for component input progressive scan etc and see what came out of it.

14. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankfully the prices here are cheap and keep getting cheaper by the week, it seems. LCDs and plasmas are dropping the most. I'm sure your prices and availability will dramatically improve once an HD servcie is introduced.

I'm not familiar with the Sony you mention above. It's likely an old discontinued model based on what's available on Sony's site. The Sonys I was refering to in comparing them to the other sets were the current widescreen models.

The current 4:3 models also put out a similar picture quality but not like the fine pitched models as I have never seen a 4:3 model that is fine pitched. These are the current ones I was refering to. http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...-Start?CategoryName=tv_hdtv_tube&Dept=tvvideo

From the many I have seen, even taking into account the often poor demo setups you get in many stores, it is still clear to me that the Sony is better in picture quality than its competitors. Actually the difference is obvious.

I'm sure the other manufacturers will continue to improve. In fact I saw a new 30" Philips the other day that was very obviously improved over the previously poor model it replaced going for $599. The quality was close to the Sony in the short amount of time I looked at it.

15. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could this be related to the lower resolution of NTSC though?

Some of the models in that site I have never seen here.

16. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Loewe do a 40" direct view CRT, but it's not high-def (and many people don't think it's that great).

17. King Saul

King Saul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Abit, I am curious, if I ever imported a CRT (HD Spec) set over from the states and used europe satellites for the HD source would it show it in 50Hz or 60Hz ?
    Thanks
    Saul

18. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure, would it handle normal european stuff (multi tuner) or just NTSC, not sure I would do this as the basic NTSC US picture quality isn't up to much.

I am sure some of our US cousins will be able to answer what frequency the HD displays in.

Me - I just spent a shed load of money I don't have and got me a Toshiba 36ZP48 :smashin:

She is gonna go nutts ... :eek: :suicide:

Too late now though .... :D

19. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD here is not under NTSC but ATSC and the specs for that standard are here. http://support.gateway.com/s/CsmrEltrncs/DigitalTV/Shared/2517984faq42.shtml A typical American TV can not show a PAL picture.

As for an HDTV from the American market displaying 50hz or 60 hz I guess would depend on the capabilities and specifications of the particular TV.

Careful that you do not awaken the wrath and scorn of a woman these days. :D

20. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    Some of the Philips HD CRT sets sold in the US were 50Hz compatible for DVD replay via component inputs - which is far less common in the US than 60Hz compatibility is in Europe.

(Whilst almost all TVs sold in Europe will lock to 60Hz standard def, and many will cope with NTSC 3.58, NTSC 4.43 and PAL 4.43/60, and many European VCRs will replay NTSC VHS recordings as PAL 4.43/60 - the reverse is not true in the US AFAIK)

No idea if the same sets will cope with 720/50p or 1080/50i inputs via component.

21. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It must be the size of a small village.