Lucky Number Slevin

DominicA

Established Member
Reaction score
Went to see this last night after seeing a poster for it and thinking "must be good with all those names in it!"

Hadn't read any reviews before going, which is a first.

Must say I was VERY happy as we came out from watching it.

I won't give any of the story away but it did kinda remind me of Pulp Fiction (which is my favourite film) in a good way.

It has lots of little twists and turns, most of which you'll work out before the end, but not all.

I found myself chuckling quite a lot as it has lots of funny exchanges and one liners.

Everyone was extremely well cast and the actors all very believable.

I'd say an 8 out of 10 (it really is my kinda bag though).

Dom

This film sounds quite interesting. On the one hand Richard and Judy's movie club (for which I have the highest regard) gave it 9 out of 10. On the other, The Guardian gave it 2 out of 5, and said it was nothing special. I'm inclined to agree with the viewing public but have always set great store by the Guardian's reviews.

So has anyone else seen this film and can comment on it?

I went and saw this last night, expecting it to be an enjoyable if forgettable film.

But it exceeded my expectations, very witty and clever dialogue (definitely a few quotes just waiting to be repeated down the pub! :D ), good plot and well acted by all! Really, really enjoyed it and I think it’s one of those films you could watch a few time without getting bored of it.

Thought Josh Hartnett (I’m not his biggest fan) was excellent probably the best performance I’ve seen from him (not too hard I know!) and good to see Freeman not being a good guy! Kingsley is excellent as always and Lucy Liu was great too. :thumbsup:

Was kind of a mix between Lock Stock and Pulp Fiction I guess.

Definitely recommend it! :clap:

Rob

DominicA said:
I won't give any of the story away but it did kinda remind me of Pulp Fiction (which is my favourite film) in a good way.

Watched this yesterday and I thought exactly the same thing at the end.:) Fab film best I have seen so far this year:thumbsup:

Cool. I look forward to watching this movie. :)

Saw it last week. Thought it was much better than i was expecting - but then i am a sucker for the gangster type genre.

Saw this on Sunday with the wife and we both enjoyed it very much. Much better then I thought it would be. Can highly recommend going to see it. :thumbsup:

Watched it at the cinema tonight...

Started of ok, began to drag in the middle, became predictable soon after that and the ending lacked excitement.

Film was mediocre in my opinion but the acting just pushed it above that so I'd give it a 'one to watch on dvd' 6/10. Certainly not my sort of film for cinema viewing.

I thought it was a good film in the context of the dross on most of the time.

It drags a little in the middle....but well worth going to see.

I liked this for the first 2 acts, but then when all the twists occur there ends up being nothing too it. It goes from being a brilliant, witty film, to an empty and contrived peice of work. The directors last film, wicker park, suffered from this as well. Only that film was drawn out and empty for its entire runtime, so I guess this is an improvement even if in the end it ends up being equally frustrating.

*KIND OF A SPOLIER*
I also didn't like how its idea of being clever was just to throw everything we have seen out the window and go in completely the oposite direction, turning almost EVERY character on their heads and making them all unlikeable in the process. As for things like the police guy being in on the killings, calling that contrived would probabaly be too leniant, it was just the laziest possible way to tie everything up, and all too neatly at that.

I liked it, worth 3 quid on Orange Wednesday.

highly enjoyable, didnt really know anything about the film before going to watch it, but thought it was the best film I have seen this year

rmoxon said:
I liked this for the first 2 acts, but then when all the twists occur there ends up being nothing too it. It goes from being a brilliant, witty film, to an empty and contrived peice of work.
Yes, I wish the director had credited the audience with a bit of intelligence and hadn't *SPOILER*
inserted the long and lengthy explanation at the end, between the two cops, of how and why the killings were done
. Felt that spoilt it a bit. At least with something like Pulp Fiction, which people have compared this film to, the audience draws together the various story threads in their own head and it's not all explained so obviously.

[ANG]RK said:
highly enjoyable, didnt really know anything about the film before going to watch it, but thought it was the best film I have seen this year

Its a bit early yet but I think this is going to be a good year for cinema goers. Plenty of highly anticipated films to get worked up over!

Need to look into this 'Orange Wednesday' thingy me thinks! it appears to increase the viewing pleasure a tad bit:D Unless someone would be soo kind as to let us all know what its about since I'm feeling hopelessly lazy at the mo! :boring:

MI55ION said:
Its a bit early yet but I think this is going to be a good year for cinema goers. Plenty of highly anticipated films to get worked up over!

Need to look into this 'Orange Wednesday' thingy me thinks! it appears to increase the viewing pleasure a tad bit:D Unless someone would be soo kind as to let us all know what its about since I'm feeling hopelessly lazy at the mo! :boring:

You need to be on Orange for your mobile contract or PAYG(I think)

Cheers, just the ticket! no wait...hold on...:rolleyes: :D

seen this last night and thought it was brilliand, good pace and a decent story and acting.

i recomend you see it, i'll be buying on DVD/Blu ray! when it's out.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:from me

just bought this film on dvd, quality :thumbsup: reminds me a bit of the usual suspects.

It's finally showing here and I watched it last weekend - really liked it. * * * * out of 5 :thumbsup:

Saw this a couple of nights back, I loved!

Best movie I have seen this year, more so perhaps because I wasn't expecting too much from it:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom