1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lucky americans again

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pinky3003, Sep 10, 2004.

1. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  2. Baz1

Baz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does make you sick!
    I think iam very very jealious :(

3. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    For people unfamiliar with the US TV landscape: those thousands of High Def channels are in fact just HD versions of local network affiliates, which are already broadcasting Over the Air (OTA) and via cable.

New regulations mandate that local affiliates must all be available by satellite as well. Until now that requirement was limited to the SDTV versions of those channels, although in the near future the same thing will apply to the HDTV versions. So DirecTV must comply with the new regulations if they wish to keep carrying locals as part of their programming lineup.

While there are indeed thousands of local affiliates nationwide, they all carry programming from the same networks: NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS, WB and UPN – all of which are already available in High Def to millions of viewers via OTA, cable and national satellite feeds. The only differences between local affiliates belonging to the same network are local news broadcasts, sports and advertisements.

This move from DirecTV will only serve to bring viewers their local network affiliates, in HD, as part of their DirecTV subscription, in case they can’t (or don’t want to) receive them via cable or OTA.

There’s no denying however that American high def enthusiasts will always have it better than Europeans. We are forever doomed to remain 10-15 years behind the technology curve. :(

Cheers.

4. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The keyword, however, being "and 150 national HD channels." Those are the ones I'm waiting for. I still have DirecTV equipment, but I stopped it in favor of VOOM. Check it out: http://www.voom.com/use_it/channel_lineup.jsp

If DirecTV pulls this off, I wonder what VOOM will do. I think I'd rather go with DirecTV then, particuarly if they have a HD PVR Tivo thingy.

5. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, so far Voom has the advantage with around up to 46 HD channels. Nice satellite service.

6. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Putting aside DirecTV, there a very significant number of local channels capable of broadcasting HD that are not affiliates of the standard networks. In my part of California there are quite a few independent channels, at least as many as the network affiliates. So technically, when you factor in those channels countrywide the posibility of a four figure number of HD channels is realistic.

7. delyan

delyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...and according to their website, by March 2005 they will have 70 HD channels.