Lucid Dreaming

j4ck100

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Someone today was explaining to me the concept of lucid dreaming (realising you are dreaming when you are in a dream so you can do whatever you want basically ) , and I was just wondering if anyone here has had one ? :)

When I was a nipper I used to often dream of flying and on a coupe of occasions I realised I was dreaming and was able to execute some neat aerial stunts. It was an awesome feeling to be in charge of one's dream!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds amazing :smashin: This guy was telling me how you have to do these reality checks in real life, and then when you do it in a dream , its not the same as in real life, kinda like the totems in Inception :)

A year or such ago, maybe a little longer... I used to be able to have full control in dreams, it got to the point that when I realised I was in a dream I would begin to analyse the dream and I found some strange things. The first thing I noticed was the detail of the dreams is incredible.

I recall one dream where I was looking at the detail of a carpet (don't ask) and I could see individual fibres. The weird thing was when I started to feel it, it didn't feel like what you'd expect, for some reason it was a smoother feeling rather than a rough carpet type feeling.

Other times you'd not have full control but you still knew you were lucid. For example you might see or do something, then think that you'll go back and take another look or do it again, and everything will be different and you'll realise and it would be quite confusing because you know you should have control etc... It's really hard to explain sometimes.

I used to keep a diary of what dreams I had, lucid or not I'd keep track of any I could remember. I've probably still got it sat about somewhere. I might try and dig it out.

I used to keep a diary of what dreams I had, lucid or not I'd keep track of any I could remember.
This is good advice. The first step to lucid dreaming is to remember your dreams (improve your dream recall). When you awake immediately make a note of your dreams, every detail you can remember.

After a while you'll find that you naturally remember more of your dreams and you remember them in greater detail than before.

The next thing is to train yourself to recognise you're dreaming. This is tricky. As you've already mentioned you need to perform reality checks (RC) throughout the day.

Right now you know you're awake so you might think, "what's the point in performing an RC?" But your dream self probably behaves in exactly the same way, i.e. "I know I'm awake, no need to double check", even though you might be experiencing something that would only happen in a dream.

One RC you can perform is to check your watch (if it's digital) or read something written in small-ish print. In dreams the small characters often lack definition. If you're having difficulty reading you're probably dreaming (either that or you're drunk).

Once you've realised that you're dreaming you are now lucid. Months of hard work have finally paid off, brilliant! But now you've gotten so excited that you've accidentally woken yourself up. You'll have to learn to keep calm in future :p

I've managed to lucid dream a few times but lost interest. If you're keen then there's a great site called ld4all. Lots of useful information there.

Anyway, good luck! And remember; super perfundo on the early eve of your day!

Last edited:
I have this fairly often, but not as much as I used to a couple of years ago. Then it was pretty much all the time, and it got to the point where I'd decide what I wanted to dream about before I went to bed, and probably around two thirds of the times, that's exactly what I dreamed about.
And then because I knew I was dreaming, I could get on with whatever I wanted to (and no, it didn't always involve Famke Janssen :D)

I dream most nights, but I have the opposite problem.....at the time I imagine that my dreams are real, and I am existing in that world there and then 100%.

I've had some real shockers where I was so thankful it was a dream when I finally awoke.

Yeah, this happens to me, usually after i've cheese that day! Cheese is fantastic for improving dream capabilities. Some of the trips i've had.

And then because I knew I was dreaming, I could get on with whatever I wanted to (and no, it didn't always involve Famke Janssen :D)

Maybe I'm just dirty minded, but my first thought with regards to lucid dreaming is that I'd just spend every night bumpin uglies with Scarlett, Angelina and co.

Probably just as well I've never had a lucid dream!

I've had this happen maybe only a couple of times and then not really had full control before slipping back into the on-rails dream.

The key is indeed to know that you're dreaming, jp_bl_68 seems to offer some good tips. I seem to remember you could buy lucid dreaming masks that would detect when you enter REM sleep and start flashing red leds (which you can see through your eyelids). Pretty soon you come to realise seeing red flashes is an indication that you're dreaming and become lucid.

I've done experiments in lucid dreams. I have examined them to see if they are in 3D, and they are. They are in full colour. I tested to see if you could fly by will, and you can, but it takes time to work. I tested to see if you fall, and hit the ground you die, and you don't. I pinched myself, and I felt the pinch. I went on a walk around my block to see what the differences were in real life the next day, and the differences were mainly in sounds, but the actual sights were very accurate. So dreams are very detailed, and accurate, but a lot of sounds are missing.

When i was younger i used to have a reoccurring dream about my bike, i'd take into school and someone would pinch it.

Never once took it to school though just incase :laugh:

Wonder if there is a way to stop yourself from waking up

I can't control my dreams but i do realise im dreaming and im able to wake myself up :thumbsup:

I love dreaming and can always tell that it is a dream and can mostly control my actions as it happens, there is nothing better than practicably turning myself into a super hero and performing all sorts of tricks.

The best though are dreams where I see its horror related and I let the action run to see what happens. S***'s the hell out of me but love it as it happens. :thumbsup:

There probably is. You can usually recreate something that happens naturally.

Will have to give it a whack when I have another good dream, they are far and few between but really make me feel like just crying when I wake up.

Thats if I can figure out it is a dream hehe

you need to watch Vanilla Sky! great film! :smashin:

I've done experiments in lucid dreams. I have examined them to see if they are in 3D, and they are. They are in full colour. I tested to see if you could fly by will, and you can, but it takes time to work. I tested to see if you fall, and hit the ground you die, and you don't. I pinched myself, and I felt the pinch. I went on a walk around my block to see what the differences were in real life the next day, and the differences were mainly in sounds, but the actual sights were very accurate. So dreams are very detailed, and accurate, but a lot of sounds are missing.

Not if you follow the laws of physics in your dream. My conscious, nor subconscious will allow such flawed physics in my dreams :D

I take it Magic Mushrooms dont really count ?

I've seen some lovely sky dragons :smashin:

What's the deal with those times you become conscious but you can't open your eyes or move for a few seconds? Hate them!

I suffer from sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming. You're better off without it. :(

Last edited:
I suffer from sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming. You're better off without it. :(
Well we all suffer from sleep paralysis (thank god) , I assume you mean after waking which doesn't sound good at all. Surely the lucid dreaming can't be a bad thing though?

I tend to suffer from REM atonia more when I'm either very tired or jetlagged. And then I tend to get it before rather than after sleep. It's not fun, especially the first time you get it.

Although I agree with Prot on the lucid dreaming side of things, surely it's not a bad thing?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom