1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LT150 owner needs help with Powerstrip

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mike J, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Mike J

Mike J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    First of all, thanks to the organisers and members of this and the AVS forum. I've found it to be a really good resource for information, and it was the AVS forum that persuaded me to buy a projector in the first place .

I have a query regarding Powerstrip settings described below, so here are the details of my system:

Abit KR7A motherboard
    Athlon 1800XP CPU
    Radeon 7500 graphics card
    768MB of DDR 2100 RAM
    Soundblaster Audigy Player sound card
    Pioneer DVD ROM 106s

NEC LT150 (colour wheel modified & Hoya FLD filter on its way)
    DLP, 1024 x 768 pixels, 800 lumens.
    Timing for PAL/SECAM = 50hz @ 768 x 576.

Matt white wall (getting a Da-Lite High Power soon)

Windows 2000 operating system
    ATI Catalyst drivers 2.5 (7.80)
    VIA 4in1 4.43v motherboard drivers
    Soundblaster Audigy Driverpack
    PowerDVD XP (with hardware acceleration on - seems to reduce banding)

The problem:
    I've owned the projector for almost a year now, and i'm very happy with it. The only problems i've had with viewing my PAL DVD movies are juddering pans and tearing (two obvious examples are the Universal logo as it scrolls over the planet, and the beginning of A Bugs Life when the 'camera' pans upwards from the water towards the trees).

Recently I was experimenting with Powerstrip and used the custom 720 x 576 @ 50hz settings. The result was that DVD panning was fluid and smooth, and I couldn't see any tearing at all. Only problem is that on this setting I lose the bottom of the screen (on the windows desktop the Startbar is out of view), so if i'm watching a 1.33:1 (4:3) film, I don't see the whole picture.

Please would someone advise me of Powerstrip settings that would give me smooth playback and also let me see the whole screen. I'm assuming that 50hz is what stops the tearing, so I would be gratefull if you would include 50hz settings for 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio desktops.

Any advice gratefully received :) .