1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LS60, SKY Digital and Football

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Zarch, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    The story so far.... apologies for bringing this up again, but it got lost in the middle of another thread.

I was all set to order a KV32-LS60 and went to my local John Lewis..... after talking to the salesman he really put my off it.

I told him my main input was SKY Digital and my main "watch" was football. He instantly said he wouldn't recommend the LS60 and that I should think about the LS35 instead. Reports of smearing etc during fast motion images (sports, fast moving films etc). He also said that SKY digital full stop was a problem on the LS60 (ie the 100hz processing) and that they have had plenty of complaints from people who have bought the set.

At present I have been unable to view the LS60 set running SKY digital as no dealer in the whole of Sheffield has the LS60 or LS35 setup with SKY (I will continue my search over the weekend).

I emailed my local Sony centre who too say the LS35 is better for sports viewing. And i quote......

"picture quality on a 50hz (LS35) TV is a more natural movement and brighter than a standard 100hz TV (LS60), thus making the LS35 better for sports viewing, a 100hz DRC TV eliminates this animated motion and gives a rock steady picture unlike the flicker that can often be seen on a 50hz set. (KV32FX66) for example £1199.99."

"The Picture 'animation' and colour bleed is minimal on the LS60, most people would not notice it unless it was pointed out, but the picture stability is far better than the LS35 ( this again is only noticeable to the edges of the screen on very bright backgrounds and on 'on screen info' such as white football results ). "

"The smearing effect you mention I have not heard of before - the picture on fast 'panning' or movement can appear 'animated' or 'judder' slightly"

They have invited me to come down and have a look at the sets side by side watching dvd's and terrestrial images, so I think i'll take them up on that, unfortunatley they don't have SKY in store!! :-(

So my main questions and concerns are....

1) LS60 and SKY Digital, can anyone tell me how it performs? good or bad!!
    2) Sports viewing, is it really that bad for a salesman to tell me not to buy the tv and get a cheaper one!??!
    3) If I decide to go for the LS35, what problems may I encounter with a 50hz 32 inch screen? will flicker be a problem on such a large screen?

I know the best thing for me to do will be to view the sets myself, but I would really appreciate thoughts and opinions from you guys who already have the sets.

After all the good words I hear on the forum about the LS60 i find it bizarre for salesmen to put me off it!!

HELP!

Thanks for your time

Mick

2. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mick

I purchased this TV (28 Ls60) from JL two weeks ago, Delivered last thursday (23rd)
    Upon connecting it to sky and watching the sport (football) the picture was exactly as described, awful:mad:

The buzzing mentioned in another thread is also pretty bad, I can hear it from the other side of the room.

I shall be contacting JL to get matters rectified this weekend, the only reason i've waited a week is because, I didn't want to be left watching the portable again so soon:rolleyes:

I'd Choose something else mate, its back to the drawing board for me:rolleyes:

3. mallet

mallet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have the 32" version, and found the football to be very good - I watch a lot of football.
    Watching sky sports and BBC via Sky satellite.
    Via terrestrial the picture was a bit crap, but who watches terrestrial nowadays?? ;)

As for the buzzing - some times I can hear it, but the vast majority of the time I cannot.

4. BigB@dJ@y

BigB@dJ@y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ive ordered the LS60 and im also a little concerned about the problems with Sky Digital feed. Will a decent RGB scart cable help?
    Is the picture worse if your quite close to the TV as well as the buzzing, as mine will be about 10ft away?
    At the moment I have my DVD connected VIA RGB scart to my Philips TV but the Sky Digi and VCR video feeds connected to my amp..then to my TV.
    When the LS60 arrives I presume it would be better to bypass the video connections to the amp and connect them direct to the TV (Sky digi via the second RGB scart), is this correct?

5. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    If you sit 10 foot away from it, i personally think you should be fine. As like on my FX66 when there are bad broadcast and when i can see it a little distorted i am about 2 foot away from screen but if i sit in normal place it very hard to see it. But most of the time well programs i watch have been very good

6. moley

moley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have watched plenty of football on my KV32-LS60 through SKY and I think the picture is excellent. I find that other channels are worse though. I was watching The Premiership on ITV1 through SKY during the week and the picture was awful; very grainy. Friends and ER last night on E4 was crystal clear although Jurassic Park III on SKY Movies was very blocky but after changing my scart lead seems to have cured that problen. The picure through DVD is sharp and my PS2 using the Audio Video pins is very good. My main gripe though is the buzzing. I noticed it straight away. I have had the set 3 weeks now and it starting to annoy me. Time to get it sorted.......

7. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    So thats 2 thumbs up and 1 thumbs down so far.

Thamsider, what were your gripes about the picture?

Anyone else got the LS60/SKY Digital combination?

Would the make/model of the Digi-box have any influence on the piture quality?

8. AndyChap

AndyChap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony KV36FS76 and have problems with Sky+ menus displaying with wavy edges. I have had Sony engineers visit and they say that this is a problem with SKY and 100mhz TV's and that there is a software upgrade that can be done to improve this. On contacting Sky they say they have no knowledge of this but do accept there are problems with Sky and 100mhz TV's and their suggestion is to drop down to 50mhz or turn off 100mhz altogether.

Has anyone else come across this ?

9. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problems i've had with the picture, were it being very blurry, (or smearing as you described it) when the camera is panning up and down quite quickly which is most of the time in a football match, and all the time in a horse race!! ( the background being green seems to highlight the problem even more) this has only really occured whilst watching sport .

I first noticed it when watching the Football last weekend, the Gillingham-Leeds match, I thought perhaps it was just a transmission problem, so I put on the horse racing (ch418) and had just the same problem.
    I then switched to the ch4 analogue transmission of the horse racing, and found the problem still there, but not quite as bad.

The picture has been fine whilst watching the other sky channels, we tend to have the music channels on most, (sport excepted) with no probs at all.
    In summary, I'd say the saleman was right, don't buy it, if like me you watch lots of fast moving sports.

10. BigB@dJ@y

BigB@dJ@y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anybody know where I can get hold of a PDF Manual for the KV-32LS60? I'd like to flick through it before I recieve the TV :D

11. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I've spent the weekend trying to find somewhere that could show me the LS60 with SKy digital..... no where could. (only a spilt 40 way picture in one store..) :-(

How do they expect anyone to buy on the strength of these analogue tranmissions is anyones guess.

No store in Sheffield even had dvd player hooked up. Absolutley pathetic.

Does anyone know anywhere in the Yorkshire region where I could view the LS60 with a high standard input. SKY obviously would be my preferred option.

Well the voting still stands a 2 votes good and 1 vote bad. So on the strength of that and the manager of my local Sony centre saying he'd not had any returns etc complaing of problems i think i'll try and order an LS60 this week.

Maybe the John Lewis salesman was a bit over zealous with his comments!!?!?!?!

Unless anyone else had a view on SKY Digital and the LS60??
    Speak now or forever hold your piece.

Oh, one more thing..... do you get choice with the LS60 of whether you get the clear cabinet or the smoked door cab??

Cheers

Mick

12. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My cabinet came with the clear glass, this was how it was displayed in the store, it looks fine, and keeps the dust out!

Much better than my last one with no doors (JVC)

Good luck with your purchase and make sure you get them to do a price match with a local rival or one of their other branches, your sure to save yourself a few quid;)

There Cheadle branch tends to be a lot cheaper than some of there other stores (£158 less than Bristol for a 28ls60)

13. testcard

testcard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So thumbs up or thumbs down?? Any problems with Sony Buzz?

14. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Thamesider, now that yours is going back.... or you gonna get the same model? If not, what you going for?

Moley & Mallet.... Do you use the noise reduction option on your LS60? What effect does it have? Did you get a choice of either the smoked or the clear cab?

What scart cables are you using? I've currently got some standard cheapos, but i think i'll need to buy new ones when the set arrives.

15. king2001

king2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have just had a 32LS60 to replace our very faulty 36FS76 and are more than happy with it!

The picture through SKY is very good (even though its an Amstrad box) and watching "the premiership" on the weekend did not show up any problems. There is very little buzzing from the set (far less than the FS76) and it can only really be heard when you are right up to the back of the set.

The only question I have is that in Personal mode the sharpness cannot be adjusted. Any ideas?

BTW BigB@dJ@y I wouldn't bother with the manual it is a little on the light side!

16. BigB@dJ@y

BigB@dJ@y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fair enough m8 :D
    Just a quick question...I'll be using an external amp and speakers for the sound and Ive read that when you switch the speakers on the TV to "off" then turn the TV off...when it comes back on the speakers are set to "ON"..is this true?
    Will it just mean I have to turn the sound on the TV down to nil?
    Or is there someway of making the TV remember the "off" setting?

17. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    King, if you want to adjust the sharpness for a AV channel in which i think you are trying to do, The trick round this is to select a tv channel let say BBC on your tv, Get the shaprness bar up then turn back over to the AV channel where the sky is plug into leaving the sharpness setting on screen this way you be able to adjust it.

18. testcard

testcard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any views on sound quality and Virtual Dolby??

19. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Sound quality in my opinion is really good. Clear dialogue and nice a bassy. Virtual Dolby, like on all tellys, is a bit poo.

20. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Lentini, Do you have any problems with SKY and your LS60? (if you have SKY that is)

What are your thoughts on the set ?

All opinions welcome!!

21. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Only when lower bitrate broadcasts show up compression artefacts (oh the joys of 100hz :D ). Other than that, it's perfect.

I think it's a superb TV. Once I got used to the minor geometry problems and got the settings spot on (cheers Squirrel God .:smashin: ) I'm extremely happy with it.

22. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Have you got the 28 or the 32" model? And no probs with the footy? :)

I wonder if there any any differences? I'm gonna get the 32" model.

23. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    My mate got a 28" version and he dont have problem with footy most of the time. Just odd time you get a bad broadcast.

The bigger the screen the easier to notice faults ;)

24. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    I've got the 32" model and, apart the very slight blurring, no problems with football whatsoever (one of the reasons I bought it).

25. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Cheers Lentini....

Well i'm gonna have a walk upto JL tomorrow lunch and get them to price match and get mine ordered.

I could do with some advice about scart leads though.

I'll have have to buy 2 (SKY and DVD), both RGB enabled.
    Can anyone recommed any? I really dont want to spend £40 per lead though.... :-(

Are there any cheaper, good quality alternatives?

26. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
  27. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    I got IXOS cables too, i bought a couple of 138's. Got mine for £20 each from Empire Direct a couple of months back but now they're going for 30.

28. testcard

testcard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

After trawling through threads on this site, and numerous trips to Sony Centres/Currrys/Comet, I've finally taken the plunge and ordered a LS60. Trouble is, for every thread praising a TV, there's one that's highly critical. Anyway, hope I'm not disappointed. Would appreciate a link to the Squirrel God thread that you mentioned. Thanks.

29. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
  30. testcard

testcard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0