LR and Centre too close? So don't bother?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Zarch, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    I have an aging Sony all-in-one DAV-SC5 5.1 AV kit with 4 ohm speakers. It has no hdmi and i've got switching boxes and optical cables all over the place, so I think its time to upgrade.

Feature wise I quite like the look of the Sony STRDN1050 receiver especially as it's on sale at Richer Sounds.

From reading around, my old 4ohm speaker kit is going to need replacing too.

But at the front, my L, centre and R are all just sat in a row on the TV cabinet, so barely a metre width between the L and R with the centre in the middle. No wider than my 42" plasma.

There is nothing I can do about this, there is no room to put them any wider. The shelf the front speakers sit on isn't very tall either, so I could only fit satellite type speakers on there anyway.

With so little separation, would I be better with a soundbar or something at the front? Like a combined L/centre/R speaker? Maybe even with a built in bit of sub oomph? Dare I say it a soundbar or soundbase type thing?

Then some small satellite speakers for the rear effects? Could and would this work with the new Sony receiver?

Or do I just get £99 Pioneer PIONEER S-HS100 5 piece speaker package from Richer Sounds and have done with it?

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Thanks, Mick

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    You can buy passive soundbars for your application. Something like the Monitor Audio Radius One or Wharfedale LCR. Then buy 2 rear speakers to match and a sub.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    A pic of the current layout would help.

I'm not convinced your 'upgrade' is going to deliver much of a change from your current system.

Joe