LPF of LFE on Onkyo NR3009

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ruby, Jan 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I've recently purchased an Onkyo NR3009 and am quite happy with the results. However, I don't understand the function of the LPF of LFE function. The manual suggests that it specifies the cutoff frequency of the LFE's channel's low pass filter, but what does this mean in actual practice? I've turned off the filter on my Velodyne CHT15 sub and all my speakers are set with a crossover of 80hz. The manual suggests that I should set the amp's LPF to 80hz, but I'm concerned that the dedicated LFE channel in 5.1 soundtracks will be adversely affected (ie. frequencies above 80hz will not reach the sub).

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,356
  3. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I'm not able to post in new messages in the thread attached above, but my question is in response to james.miller's post:

If the LPF for LFE sets the cut off for the .1 channel, and if I set mine to 80hz, is the bass above 80hz in that .1 signal completely disregarded or is redirected to some of the other speakers? If it is the former, than I don't really understand why this control even exists -surely you wouldn't want to disregard any of the signal from the .1 channel and want to bypass this control (or if this is not possible, set it as high as possible).

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,356
    The LPF frequencies are not redirected and are discarded. It is only of any real use if experiencing issues with the LFE bass going to your sub. You can use the LPF to eliminate more directional frequencies associated with the LFE channel. It is generally better to just set the filter to 120Hz or bypass it altogether if you've no issue with directional sibilance.

5. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Thanks again dante01. Just out of interest, is there an upper limit to the sound frequency that can be encoded to the .1 channel in multi-channel soundtracks?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,356
    I believe 120Hz to be the LFE channel's limit.