LPCM or Dolby Digital for Final DVD-R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kevo, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Just created my FIRST DVD-R and overall, VERY pleased with the quality. Identical to the original VHS tape.

Used TMPGenc to create the menus and the chapter points are now working fine (see previous post). Had to erase them on the Pan E100 before TMPGenc would recognise them!

Just one issue (and the point of this post) regarding the sound.
    Plays fine on my Pioneer 717 and Pan DMRE 100, but on my bro's Tosh SDE110 there are long audio dropouts on some of the tracks.

Could this be down to the AC3 track?
    Would LPCM have been a better option as regards reliability with standalone players?

Or the blank media (Datasafe, ritek dye)?
    Didn't want to chance using my branded media on my first attempt!

Or just the Tosh E110 DVD player and maybe it just can't handle DVD-Rs very well?

For the record it's Queen Live at Milton Keynes.
    The 80 minute version which has only ever been broadcast once in the UK, way back in '83 on 'The Tube' on C4. Recorded on an old Radio Rentals Fergusson 'piano keys' VCR (for those old enoug hto remember 'em!).
    So if there's any Queen fans out there, PM me.

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    AC3 (Dolby) is on just about all pressed discs, and no doubt they work fine in your brother's machine. Your other options are PCM (with a higher bitrate than ac3) or mp2 with a low bitrate. I can't quite see why they would make much of a difference though.

It's more likely that the problem is the player's inability to read dvd-r reliably. My tosh 210 couldn't do a reliable job with any type of media, whatever the burn speed. Some discs would seem OK, but most would suffer dropouts, pixellation, skipping and sticking at some point. I tried everything - cleaning the lens, expensive media, 1x burns - but ended up ditching the tosh for a panny s75, which has been flawless. Strangely enough others with the same model of tosh have no problems whatsoever. The 110E is quite an old model; I'd suggest your brother gets a new machine if he wants to take advantage of the discs you're burning for him.

Not a big Queen fan myself or I'd take you up on your offer!

3. pablo noir

pablo noir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First concert I ever went to. ;-)
    Aged 13 I think. 1982 if I remember right.

Beer tent ran out of beer, ended up drinking wine at £5 a carton (1 litre). Lot of money back then.

Teardrop Explodes didn't last long.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Didn't make MK, but was at Leeds a week earlier, a bit older at 17!