Lowtech question: Sky/pace RF out

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by roadtorode, Jul 29, 2002.

1. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I have a G Hzsender transmitting my SKY signal 'upstairs' it is prone to signal loss and interference (and cannot handle the loss of sharing a SCART out on the back of the PACE nor passing through a VCR !), and so I thought I'd back it up with a simple RF connection. I currently have a RF out from the PACE box to a portable in the next room (cable run is about 3 m and picture is fine) and it is ideally placed by a wall socket to send the RF up inside the wall to my distribution amp in the loft. This I duly did, but the picture quality is rotten, and the amp actually seems to make it worse ! I would guess that the cable run BEFORE the amp is about 8m plus another 4m after the amp. Removing the amp from the run improves matters, which puzzles me as the signal is analogue and should amplify OK. Any advice on how I might get a clear picture via RF upstairs ?

I must add that the RF amp has a single INPUT, which was then shared between UHF aerial, an FM aerial which doesn't work too well either, and then the SKY signal...

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way i understand it is that an amp will amplify any bad signal received, so in the end you end up with a worse picture.

I use the RF out (the one that you use if you want an RF connection to the VCR) to feed a 28 W/S and a portable upstairs and a portable in the kitchen, the run upstairs to the first bedroom is about 10m, this is split 6m into the run to feed the portable in the kitchen, then about 9m into the run it is split to feed the two bedrooms, all pictures are perfect, no amp, only low loss splitters are used.

I have used a decent cable (thanks to the workmen when they fitted my broadband) and the usual termination fittings.

I believe there are two RF outs on the pace, you could try using the second RF out and keep it to just one cable, no splits or amp.

Bob

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It might be the RF frequency used by the digibox is too close to the frequencies used for your local analogue terrestrial transmitter. Go into the installers menu on the digibox and change the RF output.
    Services
    Select

Try to use a frequency that is far removed from the 5 terrestrial channels and then re tune the TV that recieves the digibox RF output to the same frequency.

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is why i think it is the cable run and the amp thats giving you poor picture quality. A single cable from the second RF output to upstairs should improve things.

Bob