1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowrider

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by garylloyd, Jan 8, 2002.

1. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi.
    Could i ask a little advice?
    Here goes.
    When choosing my front speakers ie B and W.
    Should I pay more to get a lower level frequency response.
    It goes something like this
    601 down to 70 hrtz
    602 down to 60 hrtz
    602.5 down to 50 hrtz these figures are off the top of my head but are somewhere near.
    If I went for the 601 I would have to set the crossover for the sub to 80 hrtz,no choice,but if i went for the 602.5 more options would open up so more chance of getting that servo 15 sounding right.
    One more thing, down to what frequency is bass directional?
    Hope this makes sense.
    Cheers
    Gary

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Here is a controversial answer....Don't buy speakers based on specifications!

Go and listen to them. Oh and just to be really controversial, listen to the system with processor set to 80Hz rolloff and also Full Range to fronts.

Gordon

3. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Cheers Gordon, I know there is no substute for demoing,but I just wanted some help in which direction to start off down.
    Thanks
    Gary

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

You are quite right, all your speakers should go down to at least the crossover frequency you set in the AV, and subwoofers work better at very low frequencies...

Bass is directional above 80 hz, so that should be the highest, of course if your speakers don´t go down that far you must compromise, then place the sub near the front speakers to minimize the problem...

Most receivers don´t have a choice under 80 hz, just above, so make sure yours does before considering the 50 hz route.

In the same range, for instance the B&W 600, the tweeters and woofers are the same, it is generally a matter of how deep they go, and I would choose based on the crossover options available in the AV.

Of course speakers are very personal choices, and you should choose the brand and range by listening, and if you listen without a sub the largest will probably sound better...

So try to listen with a similar sub and crossover settings...

Of course this is an opinion based on my "limited" experience, not the absolute truth... :devil:

5. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks lowrider!!!!!
    Hope you did not mind me asking you.Its just that you seem to be a big fan of the sub and smaller speakers route.
    Not to mention we a Loewe buddies.
    Cheers
    Gary

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My pleasure,

Everybody knows the ideal set-up would be 5, or 7, identical full-range speakers, 20hz-20khz, but our houses and purses are not big enough... :(

Also, your ears are different from mine, so try whatever solution you came up with...

Have fun,