Lower quality

Douzeper

Standard Member
Maybe this has been discussed before and might be utter crap but here goes....:)

Sky have limited bandwidth as it is, some channels are crap poor and some are not bad, now when they start broadcasting HD that will obviously use more bandwidth. So whats the chances that after a while you will have no option but to change to HD as the rest are just so bad!

dannius

That happened to a certain degree with Sky when it went digital. Normal analogue Sky got neglected and in the end the picture was so poor that you had no option but to change to Sky digital.

Mind you, it might be different this time. I think the uptake from the masses to HD will be slower than it was to digital cos a lot of people can't tell the difference and are quite happy with their 21 Akai 4:3 SD. :D

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Douzeper said:
Sky have limited bandwidth as it is, some channels are crap poor and some are not bad, now when they start broadcasting HD that will obviously use more bandwidth. So whats the chances that after a while you will have no option but to change to HD as the rest are just so bad!

SKY only directly control their own channels, the majority of channels on Dsat lease their bandwidth direct from SES or Eutelsat who own the satellites.
SKY leased three new transponders for HD, no SD capacity is being taken for the new HD channels.

I have no doubts that if SKY reduced the bitrates on their channels they would lose far more in cancellations than they would ever make through HD upgraders.

bobsplace

dannius said:
That happened to a certain degree with Sky when it went digital. Normal analogue Sky got neglected and in the end the picture was so poor that you had no option but to change to Sky digital.

Mind you, it might be different this time. I think the uptake from the masses to HD will be slower than it was to digital cos a lot of people can't tell the difference and are quite happy with their 21 Akai 4:3 SD. :D

i like you :D

Douzeper

Standard Member
suffolktoon said:
It would be good if the introduction of Sky meant they went for quality rather than quantity.

I keep hovering over picking up the phone to cancel all the movie channels, I think I've watched 2 in the last 4 months, repeat repeat repeat Only for my son who reckons he watches a few on the multi room , they would be long gone!

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Douzeper said:
I keep hovering over picking up the phone to cancel all the movie channels, I think I've watched 2 in the last 4 months, repeat repeat repeat Only for my son who reckons he watches a few on the multi room , they would be long gone!

Cancel and give him the money to rent 'em instead:)

The problem with SKY Movies and anyone running a subscription based offering is that there are simply not enough new movies even for 1 24/7 channels without mass repeats.
DVD rental both high street and postal make a lot of sense these days and SKY have lost the edge they had over VHS rentals.

daKlone

Douzeper said:
Maybe this has been discussed before and might be utter crap but here goes....:)

Intuitively this would seem to be the case, but if you factor MPEG2 vs MPEG4 into the equation you may well find that the increase in bandwidth requirements for a HD channel are not as large as you might think.

And to be honest, I don't know anyone who is the slightest bit concerned over the bitrate of channels such as "AVAGO", "Quiz Nation" and "Big Game TV!" - so as long as the "mainstream" channels get a decent bite of the bitrate pie, I'll be happy.

Nick_UK

Banned
dannius said:

No, actually the analogue feed was switched off on 28th September 2001, and people had no option because there would be nothing to watch. I suppose white noise could be described as a "poor picture" :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom