Lower end camcorder with external mic input?

Ainotna

Novice Member
I am looking to spend £300-£400 on a digital camcorder and having never bought one before, I am finding the websites which sell them to be very unhelpful, especially when it comes to information on mic inputs! My only criteria are: Long battery life (or an extra battery), a decent but not massive optical (rather than digital) zoom and the ability to plug in an external mic. Can anyone make any suggestions or point me in the right direction?

Ainotna - in your price range, I recommend the £388 Panasonic HC-V700 or the £365 Panasonic DMC-FZ150 bridge camera. Both have external microphones and both produce high quality 1080/50p video.

In addition to its external mic input, the V700 has the largest sensor in its class, a built-in flash/video light, and a standard cold shoe for mounting accessories (unlike the proprietary Sony and Canon shoes).

Five star review from Expert Reviews UK here.

Here is what the V700 can do:

The FZ150's five star review is here.

I have this camera, and it is a fabulous still and video camera.

Here is what it can do:

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the PAL version of the FZ150 has a 30 minute video clip length limit. If you need to shoot events longer than 30 minutes, the V700 is the better choice.

Last edited:

12harry

Bill Bruner, welcome - that's a good ad for the two cameras . . . I wonder which OP will choose. Long battery life requires a second battery (at least) and a dedicated charger (beware of the cheapie ones which don't have the full sensing circuitry - I bought one and use it strictly for charging "on the move".

Nice footage, too.

Can you say if the FZ150 operates fully in movie-mode? Some cameras lock-features in Movie mode, etc.

Can you say if the FZ150 operates fully in movie-mode? Some cameras lock-features in Movie mode, etc.

Yes- it has full PASM control in video mode. I have the NTSC version with unlimited video clip length. Without the 30 minute clip length limit, the only difference between the FZ150 and a camcorder is the form factor, the lack of a headphone jack and the fact that it takes much better stills :)

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:

Ainotna

Novice Member
Thanks very much for your advice. I am going to get the Pv700 as I need to shoot footage for longer than 30 minutes. Cheers :)

Google eye

Standard Member
Hi guys just brought this cam, after wacthing youtube clips. I Love the footage , the quailty of the picture , Its great that it has an external mic input I have brought myself a Rode Stereo Video Mic Pro.

First time I have had a AVHD cam, is it possible to record someone doing an hour lecture, plus what would be the best setting to transfer to DVD?
Dave

12harry

DVD isn't HD - so your Editor will have to drop the quality to suit. However, things like lighting and steadyness will make some effect on the final viewing.
Invest in a solid tripod with a fluid-head, if you plan to move when filming.

Are you able to monitor the audio from the camera? I often wonder that . . . . and just how much better is the Rode than the built-in mic . . . do tell.

Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom