Lower budget projector advice - Sub £500 - New or 2nd hand Sony VPL-HW65

towns

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice please on a first projector setup, as to whether I should buy a new one or a 2nd hand higher end model. Had been looking at new Optomas and Epsons but also wondering about the Sony on 1500 hours. It’s mainly for watching rugby and the odd film, not going for the full cinematic experience.

One other thing, asymmetrical things drive me insane and that is probably a reason why I would swing more towards the Sony with its central lens!

Really appreciate your thoughts, thanks!

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You could look to JVC to as an alternative to the Sony's to. These are also asymmetrical to with the lens in the middle keeping things uniformed. What's more the cables are inserted from the back unlike the side on the Sony which could spoil your asymmetry plan

3t3p

Surely you mean symmetrical with the lens in the middle?
I have no hesitation recommending the 65es based on my experience with the 40es it will just be better.
Get a new bulb in there from purplecat and enjoy the lumens. My previous bulb started to flicker slightly around 1300hrs in any case.

Last edited:

DB9S

The 65 is a fantastic machine. Try to view before buying to check you are happy with the image it throws.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom