Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 Backpack Mk 1

QUILLL

Standard Member
I believe this has been superseded by the Mk II model.
Is it any good? Are they TOO BIG really?
I want to transport my 5D + 70-200mm + X2 teleconverter + Hood set up which is 41cm in total length.
Any help appreciated.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
You've only got a 70-200 !!! That bag is for one of the big super telephoto primes.... and then at that, nothing else.

Best thing you can do is take your kit to a shop with a decent selection, or even some kind of local photo show. It'll be the best way to find a combo that feels comfortable for you and has room for other bits.

QUILLL

Standard Member
You've only got a 70-200 !!! That bag is for one of the big super telephoto primes.... and then at that, nothing else.

Best thing you can do is take your kit to a shop with a decent selection, or even some kind of local photo show. It'll be the best way to find a combo that feels comfortable for you and has room for other bits.

Thanks Ian,
Good idea, if I can find one. My local Jessops and Jacobs don't keep any "large" bags though.

jradley

Even with the lens hood reversed I reckon those toploaders could be a squeeze - don't forget the OP mentioned the 2x TC mounted too. Besides, it seems like reversing the hood isn't an option.

I measuerd my Photo Trekker AW II (as in this one Lowepro - Photo Trekker AW II) - it's a massive bag and still only about 45cm long inside - so long enough but not massively oversized for the given spec. FWIW I don't like my photo trekker - I just can't get it comfortable, yet the smaller and cheaper, less configurable, Mini Trekker AW I have I love and is comfy to carry (but too small for the OP's needs).

Cheers,

John

QUILLL

Standard Member

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
The problem you've got here is that to meet your space requirement you will need a back pack. If it's a back pack, having the hood on ready to go is going to be of little use when you have to get the bag off your back, get into it, remove camera, put back pack on, remove lens cap and then get ready to shoot. If your subject is wildlife, there's a good chance it will be long gone with the sort of bag you are looking for.

The quickest, accessible, type of bag you will find will be something like a Lowepro Slingshot. Having an accessible bag, but needing to reverse the lens hood will be substantially quicker in practice than any backpack, especially the big ones you will end up with if you want to fit camera+extender+lens+hood.

However, again if wildlife is what you are after, then really the only way to operate is to have the camera out of any bag. The noise of velcro or zips will ruin any surprise you may have anyway.

So again, really you need a bag that will carry the camera to wherever you are going, that isn't huge or difficult to get equipment out of and then perhaps invest in a better strap to carry the chosen lens+camera.

This is speaking from experience using a 7D + 100-400 L for wandering about taking wildlife photos which is very similar size wise to your setup. I use a Lowepro slingshot, and have the hood reversed with cap on, and can get the camera out v.quickly and be ready. However, ideally, carry the camera out of the bag if you need quick response. It is much quieter and pretty much how I operate.

If you don't need a really quick response, then again, seriously, reverse the hood, you'll be able to get a much more portable and easy to access bag, and reversing the hood takes seconds. If you need to grab a really quick shot, not having the hood on the right way won't mean no shot. Just remove the lens cap...

QUILLL

Standard Member
The problem you've got here is that to meet your space requirement you will need a back pack. If it's a back pack, having the hood on ready to go is going to be of little use when you have to get the bag off your back, get into it, remove camera, put back pack on, remove lens cap and then get ready to shoot. If your subject is wildlife, there's a good chance it will be long gone with the sort of bag you are looking for.

The quickest, accessible, type of bag you will find will be something like a Lowepro Slingshot. Having an accessible bag, but needing to reverse the lens hood will be substantially quicker in practice than any backpack, especially the big ones you will end up with if you want to fit camera+extender+lens+hood.

However, again if wildlife is what you are after, then really the only way to operate is to have the camera out of any bag. The noise of velcro or zips will ruin any surprise you may have anyway.

So again, really you need a bag that will carry the camera to wherever you are going, that isn't huge or difficult to get equipment out of and then perhaps invest in a better strap to carry the chosen lens+camera.

This is speaking from experience using a 7D + 100-400 L for wandering about taking wildlife photos which is very similar size wise to your setup. I use a Lowepro slingshot, and have the hood reversed with cap on, and can get the camera out v.quickly and be ready. However, ideally, carry the camera out of the bag if you need quick response. It is much quieter and pretty much how I operate.

If you don't need a really quick response, then again, seriously, reverse the hood, you'll be able to get a much more portable and easy to access bag, and reversing the hood takes seconds. If you need to grab a really quick shot, not having the hood on the right way won't mean no shot. Just remove the lens cap...
Thanks Ian,
What you say makes sense but, my main problem is that I am not too steady on my feet and my photography involves walking over rough terrain and also walking and wading through rivers. I cannot have my camera around my neck for obvious reasons (although it is technically waterproof or is it?).
One big plus point though, is that my subjects are not wild life and aren't easily scared, so there would be no problems with noises from velcro etc.
As I would regularly be replacing my camera set up in and out of the bag when photographing, it makes sense to have it as near ready as possible at all times. Hence my request for help.
Thanks
Quilll

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
In that case I really think the Lowepro Slingshot range is what you are looking for. It can be securely on your back (they have an additional strap should things get tricky) and you don't need to take it off to get to the camera. I do think you will have to compromise on the lens hood though. If your subjects are not easily scared, then the few seconds it takes to reverse the hood and remove the lens cap will more than make up for the inconvenience of a full on back pack, which I think will be the only thing to accommodate your setup with hood.

The camera is not waterproof in so far as it will not survive immersion... at all... nor lens... They should be rain proof though.

If you want waterproof should you fall in, then look at the Lowepro DryZone, but don't expect quick access.

The Slingshot will allow you to get to the camera without having to take the back pack off, which sounds like it could be a big plus, and when on your back won't be hard to balance like a shoulder style bag might be.

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
There is also the Lowepro flipside bags to consider. I have this one - http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-lowepro-flipside-400-aw-backpack-pine-green/p1028115 They do make smaller ones.
You simply swing the bag round (whilst the waist strap is attached) and you then access the compartment that contains the camera gear. I've got slingshot bag, but I rarely use it. Mostly because having the camera compartment facing your back feels a lot more secure. My Flipside 400 AW is my main bag, I find i can pack everything but the kitchen sink it when I'm on a wedding shoot.

QUILLL

Standard Member
I've decided to go for the toploader 75 AW and use my 70-200 with the hood reversed.
The bigger bags are TOO BIG.
So thanks for the help and advice from everyone who took the trouble to post on this thread.

QUILLL

Standard Member
And then I saw one of these, has anyone experienced one?
Tamrac 5630 Pro Digital Zoom 10 Camera Bag (black)

never mind, wanted to offer "lowepro runner 300" bag, but i see you looking for more like a "handbag"

:)

lol

Last edited:
never mind, wanted to offer "lowepro runner 300" bag, but i see you looking for more like a "handbag"

:)

lol[/QU

Everyone to their own Darling.
How much?

been laughing from myself. posted reply, then read it through again, checked the links and i saw these tiny tiny bags. :laugh:

so edited it and wrote "handbags" lol

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom