Low wireless signal due to Wall linings. PLEASE HELP

leepug306

Standard Member
Firstly, apologies if this is the wrong section..

My grandparents have recently had a house built out the back of my parents house. . they wanted a laptop to run wirelessly, so i bought a netgear WNR2000 N Network router. . my grandparents laptop is a low end DELL laptop, and i think it had G network card.

when using the laptop in my parents house, it works fine, full signal and never cuts off, however when you go to my grandparents (which is literally 3 steps away) the signal crashes, becomes VERY slow, and cuts off frequently. They told me that the whole house has been lined with aluminium foil of some kind to keep heat in, and i think this is diverting the signal away.

I bought a Sitecom USB adapter, hoping that by converting the G card they have to an N, it may work, however this has done nothing, and im sure the problem is to do with the house, as problems only occur inside the house. i have looked into channel changing, but obviously this isnt the problem given it works fine in the parents house. I think its purely the house itself blocking signal.

I need advice as to what i can do (if anything) to improve this situation, the router isnt in a great position as to where the other house is, however it works perfect sat outside the house, then ruined when you walk in.

Please help if you can.

thanks.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
What might work is a WLAN adaptor with an external aerial; then put the aerial outside but sheltered from rain and moisture.
Another thought is to put the USB WLAN adapter on a longish USB cable such that the adaptor itself has its aerial outside. You could test that with what you already have - you just need a long enough USB cable. Again a permanent fixture would need weatherproofing.

leepug306

Standard Member
hi chris,

thanks for the reply.

So by adapter you mean the USB one i have already? it says this has an internal antenna though? i know this isnt going to be as strong as external, but if the walls are affecting the signal, would this really make too much difference? i might go to the shop in a sec and get a long enough adapter to run out the door.

thanks.

If the router allows, it might be worth replacing the antennae.

The ones supplied by default are quite weak and it doesn't take much to improve matters. I had a similar problem getting a decent wireless signal from my main computer room (a spare bedroom) to a latptop sitting in the living room.

The place I bought mine from seems to have disappeared, but they stated that most home wireless kit is only supplied with 2dBi antennae and a simple upgrade to something like 5dBi ones can be the difference between night and day:-

Some replacement antennae options

In my case, having replaced mine, I went from a 10-20% signal strength downstairs to over 60% which made the connection much more reliable.

The other option to consider (if the extension is fed by the same ring main as the main house) is to fit a couple of home plugs to the network - one in your parent's house, connected to the router, and the other in your grandparents house and attach a separate wireless access point to the 2nd home plug. This will give them local wireless access, but still be able to access the internet via your parents router.

Hope this helps.

beerhunter

Novice Member
The other option to consider (if the extension is fed by the same ring main as the main house) is to fit a couple of home plugs to the network
The two dwellings do not need to be on the same Ring Main (in fact that would be HIGHLY unlikely) but they do need to be fed from the same meter for power line comms to work - which is unlikely.

I suggest that the OP read the HomePlug FAQ.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
hi chris,

thanks for the reply.

So by adapter you mean the USB one i have already? it says this has an internal antenna though? i know this isnt going to be as strong as external, but if the walls are affecting the signal, would this really make too much difference? i might go to the shop in a sec and get a long enough adapter to run out the door.

thanks.
I am referring to your existing USB adapter. If you put it on a long enough USB lead, the adaptor itself, complete with its aerial, can be outside the walls that are screening the signal.

leepug306

Standard Member
Hi Chris,

I dont think this is really too plausible an option. The house itself is restricted to only one area it could go without it being drilled through a wall, and it seems a bit pointless to have a USB sticking through the house only to get onto the net. I dont see it as a viable choice really, but ill put it forward, thanks for your help.

Beerhunter & Gobstopper:
why wouldnt home plugs work? ive heard about these and was thinking of giving them a go. beerhunter, why would it be unlikely that they are fed on the same meter? can you suggest what exactly needs to be done to make these work?

Gobstopper: i checked and my router does not allow another antennae to be added to it, i was told this would solve the problem, unfortunately they didnt sell me one with a god enough antennae, and i dont think i could take it back now.

Im just trying to get the simplest solution really, as im bored of doing it now! if there is no simple solution then I guess id have to go through the wall and use Chris' idea of the antenna outside for a USB adapter.

Kristian

why would it be unlikely that they are fed on the same meter?
Because I would imagine each house would have it's own electricity meter. Do they? Or do your parents pay for your grandparents electricity?

Im just trying to get the simplest solution really
If the houses are really that close

when you go to my grandparents (which is literally 3 steps away)
then why not throw a cat5E cable between the two houses? You could then install a WAP somewhere inside the GP's house where they get good coverage.

Kris.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
This might sound a bit obvious, but does your granny flat have it's own phone line or does it share the phone with main property?

If it has it's own, why not buy them there own BB service?

If shared, can you install a cat5e link along the same route that the phone extension takes between the two properties?

BTW - if the granny flat is regarded as a separate dwelling, you might be contraveening the T&C's of you main property's BB contract by sharing it. Some have "one premises only" stipulation, (of course this is irrelavant if they aren't using the Internet.)

Cheers, M.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom