low volume

simon123

Established Member
Reaction score
i am an aerial rigger, and usually deal with sky distribution .
my customer has had a new cable box (scientific atlanta) which i have run the scart into a RF modulator and then distributes round the house with VHS video,modulated dvd, spanish satellite,terrestrial channels and all these bar the cable box can be controled with the original remote controles via magic eyes in any room.

i have 2 problems the sound from the cable box is very quiet even though the settings are on 10 and the quality is very tinny but with perfect picture.

second fault is the control of the box, i am using a product made by Global which works with the above but is not receiving the IR from the cable.

any help would be very appreciated.

cheers simon

simon123 said:
i am an aerial rigger, and usually deal with sky distribution .
my customer has had a new cable box (scientific atlanta) which i have run the scart into a RF modulator and then distributes round the house with VHS video,modulated dvd, spanish satellite,terrestrial channels and all these bar the cable box can be controled with the original remote controles via magic eyes in any room.

i have 2 problems the sound from the cable box is very quiet even though the settings are on 10 and the quality is very tinny but with perfect picture.

second fault is the control of the box, i am using a product made by Global which works with the above but is not receiving the IR from the cable.

any help would be very appreciated.

cheers simon

The best way to solve the sound problem is to drop the sound level in the settings down to 8, this will remove the tinny sound. Next you will need a silver cable remote control, then press the purple button -settings and services - Telewest help and Info -TV - Trouble shooting - Remote control - Find make of TV and code. Find the make of TV and then hold volume + and mute at the same time, the remote will flash then enter the code, this will allow you to contol the TV volume with the remote.

If the customer does not have a silver remote you will need to get one from telewest

The digisender is most likely not working becasue the box uses IRDA instead of standard IR, you can buy digisender that are IRDA compatible

homersimpson200 said:
The best way to solve the sound problem is to drop the sound level in the settings down to 8, this will remove the tinny sound. Next you will need a silver cable remote control, then press the purple button -settings and services - Telewest help and Info -TV - Trouble shooting - Remote control - Find make of TV and code. Find the make of TV and then hold volume + and mute at the same time, the remote will flash then enter the code, this will allow you to contol the TV volume with the remote.

If the customer does not have a silver remote you will need to get one from telewest

The digisender is most likely not working becasue the box uses IRDA instead of standard IR, you can buy digisender that are IRDA compatible

Thanks do you have any idea why the volume is so low or is this normal through RF

and also if i use one of the red eye converters can i still use the original silver remote in another room or is this not compatable with the redeye.

cheers simon

make sure in setting menu sound is at 10 and press ok to save settings
most of times that fixes it
if it still the same try hooking through scart to see if volume is any louder if so call customer service to book fault

simon123 said:
and also if i use one of the red eye converters can i still use the original silver remote in another room or is this not compatable with the redeye.

The Redeye needs to be used with a different remote than the original one that came with the box.
Something like a Pronto programmable remote. (I have used these with good results) I believe that you can buy one of the older On Digital remotes which has the correct codes for the Redeye, but I think a programmable one is the best option. This could be programmed with all the other remotes you need to use.

You should have a look at the Lets Automate website for more info.
http://www.letsautomate.com/11220.cfm?

cheers thats the info i was looking for.
now i need to find a reasonably priced remote, and easy for the customer to program.

Hi Simon,
I've come across low volume when modulating some manufacturers products onto rf. The best solution I have found is a modulator from VISION which has adjustable volume gain, and RF gain.

The volume gain allows you to balance the products volume with that of the rest of the system.

http://www.vision-products.co.uk/modulators.htm

Your local wholesalers should be able to get them for you.

Rod.

thanks rob
i wish i had looked at my emails last night as i have just been to solutions this morning, i will pick one up next time.

cheers simon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom