• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Low volume playing from bluray player

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
I have a Panasonic TX-L37G15 and a Sony BDP-S360 connected via HDMI cable.

The picture quality is superb, but when playing a bluray disc or dvd I have to more than double the volume on the TV to get it up to the same level as it was when watching normal TV (freeview / Sky). Then of course when I switch back to watching normal freeview/Sky I have to turn the TV volume down by more than half.

I've searched the menus on the bluray player, but can't find any adjustment to bring the bluray audio up to the same level (...maybe I'm blind) without having to up the TV volume manually every time.

Does anyone have any ideas?

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I have a Panasonic TX-L37G15 and a Sony BDP-S360 connected via HDMI cable.

The picture quality is superb, but when playing a bluray disc or dvd I have to more than double the volume on the TV to get it up to the same level as it was when watching normal TV (freeview / Sky). Then of course when I switch back to watching normal freeview/Sky I have to turn the TV volume down by more than half.

I've searched the menus on the bluray player, but can't find any adjustment to bring the bluray audio up to the same level (...maybe I'm blind) without having to up the TV volume manually every time.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've had quite a few different BD players now and i'm afraid they were all the same regarding low volume when direct to display.
No setting on the player made any real difference.........just had to whack the volume up!

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
volume of sources varies quite a bit, which is why we have the volume control, though despite having both 350 and 550 never seen a volume problem when properly set up on the Sony or any other player. I would look at your setting.

Last edited:

johnjo569

In the menu settings on the G15, i think its in the 'other settings' page there is a volume difference setting which allows you compensate and alter the sound difference between say an xbox and freeview. So when you come off one and go on the other the sound stays roughly the same. Dont know if iv explained it very well or it work with Blue ray though but worth a try as its works with my Xbox.

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
I'll have a look at the options on the G15. However, switching from Freeview to Sky input the sound volume stays about the same, which is fine. It's only when switching to bluray on HDMI 1 that the volume is very quite. Is it possible to adjust the volume of each input separately?

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
Do you send your audio as bitstream or pcm to your TV, you could try switching beteew the two, to see if they any diff :)

No idea. It's connected via HDMI and I've not changed any settings anywhere.

deckingman

I'll have a look at the options on the G15. However, switching from Freeview to Sky input the sound volume stays about the same, which is fine. It's only when switching to bluray on HDMI 1 that the volume is very quite. Is it possible to adjust the volume of each input separately?

Yes. Well at least it is on my older Panasonic 37 inch Plasma. It's called "Volume Correction". You have to switch to the input in question, then go into the setup menu and tweak the "Volume Correction" up. It applies this setting but for only that input. I have had to do this with the HDMI input I use with my Sky HD box which was very quiet compared to all other sources (including the TV tuner).

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom