Low Volume on LPCM soundtracks

Mr Ess

I have an MSI K9AGM2-FIH chipset Motherboard which has a built in 8 channel sound card (ALC888). I have plugged in my 7.1 audio cables into my Pioneer AX4ASI Amp and can now get 7.1 LPCM soundtracks from my ripped HD-DVD and Blu-Ray films but they are very quiet incomparison with DD5.1. I am having to turn up the amp to +3 on some films to get the same volume as -12 on DD5.1. I don't really have a problem with doing this as its sounds far better but I start getting noise and hiss which I can hear on quiet scenes of films which is spoiling the experience.

Couple of questions :-

1. Is there a way of boosting the LPCM soundtracks? I have all the volumes I can see turned up full on the PC soundcard settings, WinXP and PowerDVD Ultra and can't see anything in the menu's of the amp for Multi-In Volume.

2. Will a better dedicated soundcard lose the hiss if I do have to turn it up that loud? If so, which one would you recommened. Its only for movies, no games.

:thumbsup:

blingo

Novice Member
In powerdvd while the movie is playing right click and go to config
then go to the audio tab. Once there you should see the advanced tab at the bottom go into this and change it to quiet mode. This should hopefully sort the problem out.

Mr Ess

Cheers mate, I'll have a look at that tonight when I get home although I have a funny feeling its already set to that. I'll get back to you. :smashin:

Mr Ess

In powerdvd while the movie is playing right click and go to config
then go to the audio tab. Once there you should see the advanced tab at the bottom go into this and change it to quiet mode. This should hopefully sort the problem out.

No, this didn't work. I played Cars Blu-Ray and I was playing the Dolby Digital 6.1 EX soundtrack that was the default audio stream. I right clicked and chose Config, advanced and my setting was on the Noisy Environment option so I changed it to Quiet mode and a second or so later, the volume got even lower. Changed it back to Noisy and it got louder.

Interestingly, I then cancelled that screen and changed the films audio stream to LPCM and then went back in and tried to change the setting back to Quiet and it didn't make any difference. I did notice that it mentions the Dynamic Range Compression only affects Dolby Sountracks.

After more playing, I did notice that its not actually LPCM only that is quiet. Its basically any soundtrack through the analogue outs on my mobo. My HD-DVD player and PS3 are louder on LPCM than my HTPC.

Anyone else know how to increase the volume on the mobo analogue outs or would a new card help?

drummerjohn

Regardless of soundcard or mobo I have always found the analogue out to be much quieter than the digital out. I just use the amp to boost the analogue in.

As for the settings in PowerDVD - you should only ever use one option if you want to benefit from the full audio capabilities of HDDVD & Bluray - its the top option (can't remember what its called but gives you the full unlimited range). The other options mess with frequency ranges to boos things like vocals etc.

Mr Ess

Regardless of soundcard or mobo I have always found the analogue out to be much quieter than the digital out. I just use the amp to boost the analogue in.

As for the settings in PowerDVD - you should only ever use one option if you want to benefit from the full audio capabilities of HDDVD & Bluray - its the top option (can't remember what its called but gives you the full unlimited range). The other options mess with frequency ranges to boos things like vocals etc.

When you say you used your amp to boost the analogue in, do you mean by simply turning up the volume or is there a setting you have on your amp to boost analogue in's?

The top option is called Quiet and it seems to make my problem even worse as it takes away any boost. Whilst I understand that if I had a good volume without needing to boost anything that this is the best option.....with my problem, I can't afford to lose the volume gain I get with the "Noisy" setting otherwise I will be on +10 with my films.

Do some amps allow a boost of multi-channel in? I can't find anything on my Pioneer AX4ASI.

blingo

Novice Member
If you want a high quality card i would look into the Azuntech prelude. The audio from this card is amazing. I think normal Dolby digital and DTS track sound better from the card then spdif to my sony 1200es and of course i can TrueHD and DTS-HD.

drummerjohn

If you want a high quality card i would look into the Azuntech prelude. The audio from this card is amazing. I think normal Dolby digital and DTS track sound better from the card then spdif to my sony 1200es and of course i can TrueHD and DTS-HD.

The Auzentech Prelude is a Xfi which I would avoid for the purposes of analogue out. I have two Xfis. Whilst good for gaming the analogue output doesn't match the quality of the Maudio range, which I also have.

Mr Ess

Unfortunatley my amp dosn't seem to have a multi-in volume setting so I think I'm kind of stuck. Would the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 do the trick? Will I get less noise at high volume or will the drivers/software give me boost in volume that will mean less requirement for the amp to be up so high?

Mr Ess

My Maudio Revo 7.1 is just as quiet as the Xfis I have.

Do you mean quiet in Volume or Quiet in hiss terms? Which is the best card to go for if I want high quality analogue outs but spending the least amount of money seeing as I won't be using many of the gaming and Midi features that I'm sure some of them have. I just want HD Movies to play with high quality analogue inputs?

blingo

Novice Member
The volume on mine is fine.

blingo

Novice Member
Prelude connected to Sony 1200ES via analog out.
Aint had no problem with volume.

fathazza

ive noticed that my sound when using powerdvd is at a lower volume too.
And im also using a 690g based motherboard tho mine is a Gigabyte one.

I dont have to turn my amp up as high as yours tho... so i havent been that bothered by it, but i do remember having a quick google and one solution was to alter the powerdvd default volume in the registry, or something a long those lines.

Mr Ess

ive noticed that my sound when using powerdvd is at a lower volume too.
And im also using a 690g based motherboard tho mine is a Gigabyte one.

I dont have to turn my amp up as high as yours tho... so i havent been that bothered by it, but i do remember having a quick google and one solution was to alter the powerdvd default volume in the registry, or something a long those lines.

Thats interesting.....I can't find anything by googling "powerdvd default volume" or similar.....any more info???

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom