Low volume on hi-fi setup.

PaddycaT

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an Ariston Q-Deck turntable, Ariston AX910 Integrated Amplifier and Teac LS-X8 Speakers. Even with the sound control knob turned fully on, the volume is very low. Any suggestions on what the problem is?

Does the amp have a specific Phono input and hence an internal Phono pre amplifier.

Alternatively does the deck have a pre-amp built in? Some that do have a switch to turn the preamp on or off.

I'll have a quick Google on your model numbers but just a few thoughts to be going on with.

I've had a quick look and I believe neither the deck or the amp actually has a phono preamp built in, which would certainly explain low level sound.
It's hard to be 100% sure as it's not that easy to find info on older kit.

Something like this could be a good option if you do need a phono pre amp.

I've had a quick look and I believe neither the deck or the amp actually has a phono preamp built in, which would certainly explain low level sound.
It's hard to be 100% sure as it's not that easy to find info on older kit.

Something like this could be a good option if you do need a phono pre amp.

Hi Jamie
Thanks for the information.
The amp does have Aux/Phono connections at the rear which I have connected the turntable to.

It looks like the Ariston 910 is a rebadged Cambridge A1. IIRC the Cambridge was able to be ordered with or without a phono board which accounts for the Aux/Phono connector on the back. I suspect that you have a version without the phono board making that connection an AUX line level input. If you look inside then the phono board sit at the right hand side when looking from the front, if there is no cicuit board on that side of the cae the you have an AUX version and as suggested need an external Phono stage/preamp which can be had for £20 (Behringer PP400) upwards.

Youtube clip showing the inside of your amp, notice the space on the RHS with connector pins for the optional phono board.

The Cambridge connection defenitely makes sense, I did notice how similar it was to my own A1, especially from the rear.

IIRC correctly back on the day most A1s were sold through Richer Sounds and the phono equipped version was hard to get, my BIL tried to get one but was offered a discounted separate CA phono instead.

It looks like the Ariston 910 is a rebadged Cambridge A1. IIRC the Cambridge was able to be ordered with or without a phono board which accounts for the Aux/Phono connector on the back. I suspect that you have a version without the phono board making that connection an AUX line level input. If you look inside then the phono board sit at the right hand side when looking from the front, if there is no cicuit board on that side of the cae the you have an AUX version and as suggested need an external Phono stage/preamp which can be had for £20 (Behringer PP400) upwards.

Youtube clip showing the inside of your amp, notice the space on the RHS with connector pins for the optional phono board.

Hi Ugg10
Thanks for your response. I will check out the amplifier.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom