Low volume of TV when using coax cable

jontygee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have sky in my living room and I have a coax cable running under the floor and into the kitchen, and then into a different TV. My problem is two-fold.
1) When I am watching the picture on the TV in the kitchen, i.e. the programme transported from the Sky via coax, sometimes the reception keeps dropping out or crackling, sometimes it is absolutely fine. I try taking the aerial in and out, but it makes no difference. However the picture on the DTV (i.e. not the picture delivered by the coax cable) is always fine.
2) The volume on the TV is really low. If I am watching the kitchen TV on the DTV channel then the volume is absolutely fine and I can turn the volume up and down as normal. However when I am watching the programme transported from the Sky via coax, the volume is very low and turning it up seems to make very little difference.

I do expect some loss of signal quality using the coax, but not as much as is happening. If it helps, the source on the kitchen TV for the coax transported programme from Sky is watched on the setting shown as PAL.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

However the picture on the DTV (i.e. not the picture delivered by the coax cable) is always fine

Do you have a separate aerial plugged into the TV for DTV which you then remove and swap to the coax cable from your Sky box?

I've been with sky for a while now and lots of people including myself have the " Low Sky Sound " problem. The only fix for some people was to change the audio settings in the TV itself, obviously this is subjective to what TV you have.

No it's just the same coax cable

You're receiving your DTV channels and your Sky signal through the coax from your Sky box.
Your terrestrial aerial is fed into the aerial in socket on your Sky box and the signals from that are combined with the modulated Sky signal and are output from the RF2 socket through the coax cable to your Kitchen TV.
As an experiment, with the kitchen TV tuned to the poor Sky signal go to the rear of the Sky box and pull out the aerial connection (NOT the RF2 connection) then go back to the kitchen TV and see if the picture has improved, it may have been grainy/snowy before...does it improve?
If it does report back with the model number of the Sky box (it's printed on a label on the bottom) and we can tell you how to adjust the Sky box RF output channel if it turns out to be the problem.

Hi, thanks for that but unfortunately it made no difference. However... I have changed the RF output from 68 to 67 and the picture is much better and so far hasn't crackled out! Unfortunately the volume problem hasn't changed but I can live with that

thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom