low volume and 5:1 sound on HD channels

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by bob-avf, Apr 23, 2007.

1. bob-avf

bob-avf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone know why the volume is lower on HD channels compared to the normal SD channels ? Is there an official SKy reason for this ? I need to turn up the volume by about 10 points for HD channels ? Is there any fix for the box ?

Also, I see that some of you mention 5:1 sound on HD - what do I need to get this if I dont connect through my cinema system ?

cheers

Bob

2. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Not sure I've noticed this myself.

However on the subject of HD sound- I have noticed that HD channels seem to be 'delayed' compared to the SD ones.

Switching between the 2 versions (still in the new HD box and new large TV mode at moment - drives other half mad!) and I hear the same sentence repeated if I go from SD to HD.

Anyone else?

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    DD 5.1 via SKY is broadcast at a lower volume probably due to dynamic range compression however the quality is unaffected and a few clicks on the volume dial of the amp covers this. It bothers some people more than others perhaps in part depending upon how their individual speakers are setup and how often they switch between stereo and 5.1 channels.

The encoding and decoding of the mpeg4 HD channels is a longer process than for the mpeg2 SD channels hence the delay, you see/hear a similar thing for terrestrial analogue against DTT and Dsat.

4. RSVdaz

RSVdaz
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    yeah volume is quieter on your telly through hdmi. 5.1 sound - i get mine through my surround sound system via an optical lead.

i have noticed though, when using the amp, there is a delay between picture and sound..ie the sound is out of sync with the picture..i know in the set up you can change the delay..but i cant get them to match up..anyone else got this problem and what have you got the setting at?

5. pixm

pixm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What's really annoying is when your watching a programme like Lost in 5:1 and then the adverts come on (which are obvioulsly in stereo) and blow your eardrums away :mad:. Sky should realise this and set the output volumes accordingly.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

With a DVR adverts should never be an issue especially with LOST which touchwood continues to be on Anytime ad and dog free:)

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Flat panel displays take a small amount of time to create the picture (longer than a CRT anyway) and with the audio being routed via another path and with no extra processing delay they fall out of sync.
    Many amps have built in delays on the digital inputs and the option on SKY+HD has I suspect been one of the most used new functions.

I never had to use any sort of audio delay on SKY+ (5.1 or stereo) but I've had to use 60ms on the HD box with the same LCD, this has proven to be spot on across the whole channel range.

8. Whitehot

Whitehot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When watching a HD channel press the Help button on your sky remote then change the audio description option to ON increased volume is now there.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Yep but you are then not listening to DD5.1 audio which kinda defeats the point;)