1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low sub volume on SACD

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by DrZeus, Dec 24, 2003.

1. DrZeus

DrZeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just purcahsed my first SACD, I can hardly hear any LFE from the sub.

My kit is:

Pioneer 565 DVD player
    Yamaha DSP-AX620 Amp
    Velodyne CHT-10 sub

I have the 6 analogue inputs into the amp from the sub. The DVD player is set to output Audio in 5.1 and the sub is 'on'. I have to turn the velodyne volume around to max to hear anything out of the sub at all.

Increasing the sub level to the maximum 6db on the DVD player makes a very small difference in volume. The sub is set to 'direct'.

I've even tried swapping the analogue leads too, but no joy :(

2. aimprod

aimprod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In film terms the sub is refered to as LFE, this means low frequency effects. Music tends to not be big on this, so often there isn't much content there anyway. I on occassion have to give talks on use of 5.1 and advise engineers not to use the .1 for anything that is vital to the material, as playback modes can be very variable.

What is the SACD you have? Would you expect it to have low bass anyway. Maybe check if the crossover point is OK if variable.

I'm assuming you are happy with DVD playback if not try moving the sub around. more bass to be had when placed against the front wall, more still in a corner.

Hope this is usefull.

3. jag77

jag77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SACDs and DVD-As have the 0.1 about 10dB softer than the other channels (To be technically correct, DD and DTS have the LFE 10dB louder than the other channels)

You just might need to boost up the 0.1 channel by 10dB. Its a known problem that affects SACD and DVD-A, AFAIK.......