Low sound with Humax/Freesat

MaryMc

Standard Member
Can anyone help with this please. We have had a Humax Foxsat for a few months and the sound quality was good until recently. However we can now hardly hear the sound at maximum setting, except on the BBC HD channel. On BBC HD the sound is fine on a low setting. I do not know whether the problem is with the Freesat signal or the Humax box. ( It can't be our surround sound system as that works OK with DVDs). The signal strength is about 86% where it used to be 100%

Geofbob

Surely there's no such thing as a "Freesat signal" - Freesat is simply the EPG. The individual channels have the same satellite signal whether they're on Freesat, Sky or FTA - your sound problem seems more likely to be in the Humax box, or the connections between various components.

PS Your post is a little obscure, and reads as though the sound may be louder on a lower setting than on a higher - is this the case?

Last edited:

Merago

This is going to sound like a cheeky question, but is the volume on full on the Humax box itself? The reason I ask is, the BBC HD channel, regardless of how high or low the volume is set on the Humax box, seems to pump out sound to my home cinema system as if the volume on the Humax box was set full. I then change the volume on the home cinema speakers accordingly. Even if the volume is set high on the Humax, that may give you a starting point for troubleshooting.

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Can anyone help with this please. We have had a Humax Foxsat for a few months and the sound quality was good until recently. However we can now hardly hear the sound at maximum setting, except on the BBC HD channel. On BBC HD the sound is fine on a low setting. I do not know whether the problem is with the Freesat signal or the Humax box. ( It can't be our surround sound system as that works OK with DVDs). The signal strength is about 86% where it used to be 100%

How is the sound connected to the AV amplifier ? The spdif digital sound ouput is a fixed setting for Dolby Digital used by HD channels and volume comtrolled by the remote control for mpeg 1 stereo used by SD channels

Merago

Heh, grahamlthompson has put that far more eloquently than I could.
And as an added bonus; I now know why the volume differs between the HD and SD channels on my system. I had figured it might be something to do with DD. :)

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Heh, grahamlthompson has put that far more eloquently than I could.
And as an added bonus; I now know why the volume differs between the HD and SD channels on my system. I had figured it might be something to do with DD. :)

Tip

Tune to a HD channel and set the volume on your amp to a normal listening level. Tune to a SD channel and adjust the volume on the hdr to roughly the same level as the HD sound. Now when you change over there's virtually no difference :D

MaryMc

Standard Member
Thanks for all your replies. I'm afraid I don't understand all of them. Further information -
1)it worked fine when it was first set up, it's deteriorated gradually.
2)Geofbob - on SD channels I can hardly hear it when the Humax volume level is at the maximum of 50 (actually makes little difference from about 30 to 50) but on BBC HD the sound is fine at about 25, and is deafening at 50.
3)I've checked all the connections, they seem fine.
4)grahamlthompson - sorry to be ignorant but what are spdif and hdr? I've tried retuning all channels on the automatic menu, I wouldn't know where to start manually retuning.
5)another thing I've just found - the sound level on programmes previously recorded from the HD channel seem to have deteriorated. We've only had the Humax box for 3 months.

Rorydelappdance

Standard Member
Tip

Tune to a HD channel and set the volume on your amp to a normal listening level. Tune to a SD channel and adjust the volume on the hdr to roughly the same level as the HD sound. Now when you change over there's virtually no difference :D

I had to read that twice to fully understand it and I think you may have solved one of my big bug bears Graham.

On my Sony Amp - I have the volume at 30, but for HD I have to adjust it to around 22/23 as it is comparatively low, now as I understand it, I can leave it perma set at 23 after adjusting the sound down on the Humax.

One more question, will that affect the volume on recordings I transfer by USB etc?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I had to read that twice to fully understand it and I think you may have solved one of my big bug bears Graham.

On my Sony Amp - I have the volume at 30, but for HD I have to adjust it to around 22/23 as it is comparatively low, now as I understand it, I can leave it perma set at 23 after adjusting the sound down on the Humax.

One more question, will that affect the volume on recordings I transfer by USB etc?

It won't have any effect on transferred data as you are recording the original transmission before it's been through the mpeg video and audio decoders. The volume when that is replayed will depend on what you use to decode it. VLC player for instance

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks for all your replies. I'm afraid I don't understand all of them. Further information -
1)it worked fine when it was first set up, it's deteriorated gradually.
2)Geofbob - on SD channels I can hardly hear it when the Humax volume level is at the maximum of 50 (actually makes little difference from about 30 to 50) but on BBC HD the sound is fine at about 25, and is deafening at 50.
3)I've checked all the connections, they seem fine.
4)grahamlthompson - sorry to be ignorant but what are spdif and hdr? I've tried retuning all channels on the automatic menu, I wouldn't know where to start manually retuning.
5)another thing I've just found - the sound level on programmes previously recorded from the HD channel seem to have deteriorated. We've only had the Humax box for 3 months.

First of all do you have a Humax-HD (non recording) or Foxsat-HDR (twin tuner pvr). Not that it matters as the sound connections are the same.

There are basically 2 ways of getting sound out of the box. There is analogue stereo which comes out of both scart connectors and the RCA phono connectors and there is digital sound outputs which need a surround sound amplifier to decode them. Digital sound is carried on the hdmi and also from the Sony Phillips Digital Interface (SPDIF) which uses a fibre optic cable. Without knowing which output and how you have connected it to your surround sound amplifier it's hard to come up with any suggestions

MaryMc

Standard Member
First of all do you have a Humax-HD (non recording) or Foxsat-HDR (twin tuner pvr). Not that it matters as the sound connections are the same.

There are basically 2 ways of getting sound out of the box. There is analogue stereo which comes out of both scart connectors and the RCA phono connectors and there is digital sound outputs which need a surround sound amplifier to decode them. Digital sound is carried on the hdmi and also from the Sony Phillips Digital Interface (SPDIF) which uses a fibre optic cable. Without knowing which output and how you have connected it to your surround sound amplifier it's hard to come up with any suggestions

It's a Foxsat-HDR.
There are two cables between the surround sound and the Humax - an HDMI cable and one other which my son (who fitted it up for me) calls an optical digital cable - he'd never heard of SPDIF, but is that the same thing?

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
It's a Foxsat-HDR.
There are two cables between the surround sound and the Humax - an HDMI cable and one other which my son (who fitted it up for me) calls an optical digital cable - he'd never heard of SPDIF, but is that the same thing?

Yes that's the SPDIF, look at item 7 on page 11 of the hdr manual. It sounds as if there is something wrong with the surround amplifier, either an incorrect menu setting or a fault. If the amp has suitable inputs try using the rca phono outputs (item 3 on page 11). If you can borrow a dvd player with an optical out you could test your amp using that.

MaryMc

Standard Member
Thanks for all your replies. My son has just sorted it for me (and called me all kinds of an idiot). I had the sound down too low on the Humax box itself by accident and forgot that there was a sound control on the Humax as well as the TV and the sound surround system. I now understand all your replies!:oops:

Rorydelappdance

Standard Member

So after a period of this working, Humax have now bloody broken it again with the inability to change volume of optical after the upgrade. Not good enough.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
So after a period of this working, Humax have now bloody broken it again with the inability to change volume of optical after the upgrade. Not good enough.

I know :thumbsdow

janetl

Standard Member
I have just had a humax foxsat box installed in place of en expired skyplus.
The sound is really low, picture good but no way of increasing the volume. It's at the top of the volume bar.

I only have an hd ready tv (sony trintron) with just ordinary built in stereo sound.
Have I just got to lump the volume? I can't hear the tv on the other side of the room!

Can't see any other volume control. Lower than 75% and there's no volume at all

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I have just had a humax foxsat box installed in place of en expired skyplus.
The sound is really low, picture good but no way of increasing the volume. It's at the top of the volume bar.

I only have an hd ready tv (sony trintron) with just ordinary built in stereo sound.
Have I just got to lump the volume? I can't hear the tv on the other side of the room!

Can't see any other volume control. Lower than 75% and there's no volume at all

The remote control for the foxsat has a volume control just turn it up to full.

janetl

Standard Member
Yes I know the remote on the foxsat has a volume control, that's why i said that if I turn it down to less than 75% I have no sound at all!

That's the only volume control (i.e. via the remote) that I can see.
Is there another then?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've looked through the manual and can't see anything else.

Janet

TonyA

Yes I know the remote on the foxsat has a volume control, that's why i said that if I turn it down to less than 75% I have no sound at all!

That's the only volume control (i.e. via the remote) that I can see.
Is there another then?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've looked through the manual and can't see anything else.

Janet

Have you got the TV sound turned up?

The Foxy and the TV sound outputs work independently of each other. Turn the sound up on both devices.

janetl

Standard Member
I did have the sound turned up on the tv but strangeley enough I turned everyhting off this afternoon when I went out and now I've turned it all on again the volume is fine!

I hadn't turned anything off after I ran the 'update software' so maybe that's what solved it?

It's a lot slower to react than skyplus and i will miss alibi and a couple fo other channels but at elast i can now reord again!
Thanks for the help.

TonyA

I did have the sound turned up on the tv but strangeley enough I turned everyhting off this afternoon when I went out and now I've turned it all on again the volume is fine!

I hadn't turned anything off after I ran the 'update software' so maybe that's what solved it?

It's a lot slower to react than skyplus and i will miss alibi and a couple fo other channels but at elast i can now reord again!
Thanks for the help.

:thumbsup: Not only that you're not lining Sky's pocket each month! Glad to hear its all working now! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone