Low Sound Level on DVD/TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RMCF, Aug 21, 2001.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    Can anyone answer this question: I originally thought it was just my setup, but then I discovered my brother and a couple of friends had it as well. When watching a DVD linked directly to the TV you set the volume to a nice listening level and enjoy your film. Then when finished you switch back over to Sky or terrestrial TV and nearly wake the dead. Why are DVDs so quiet?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Because of the dynamic range from very quiet whispers to very loud explosions.<br />This also affects the volume when connected to a AV amp/receiver, search this forum for millions of threads about this.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    DVD isn't really quiet ( you could argue its louder if anything but in the right areas) its just got a greater dynamic range than any other consumer format ( with the exception of LD probably) Basically the quiet bits are quiet and the really loud bits are really loud and the moderate bits hover around the mid level.

On broadcast TV or vhs you tend to find that the dynamic range has been compressed. ie quiet stuff is boosted up volume wise and the louder parts are lowered a bit. End result is that everything is made to float around the same middle volume level.

So if you have a dvd and you listen to it at normal TV levels you find you can hear the loud parts OK but the quiet parts are a bit quiet. Pump up the volume so you can hear the quiet parts and the loud parts get real loud. ( my wife has a nasty habit of surfing the volume control up and down when she should just set the volume so she can gear dialogue nicely and appreciate the loud parts when its supposed to be LOUD) Its more natural if you think about it : a gunshot is louder than someone dropping a coin on the floor or someone speaking normally.

If you listen in DD (not sure about DTS)you normally have the option of engaging a dynamic range compression function on either the amp or dvd for late-night listening or when you wish to avoid offending the neighbours. Also you can buy black boxes that give the same functionality. Purists totally hate dynamic range compression but I can see a use for it in certain circumstances<br />( although if the volume is such a problem and I'm still desperate to watch a film I occasionally watch in straight stereo rather than strain to hear the quiet bits with the volume cranked down: never on a first viewing though)