1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"low smoke zero halogen" - sound affector ?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by themoid, Dec 17, 2004.

1. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi all,

Perusing the Maplin catalogue for some CAT5 cable there is:
    • Cat 5e Network Cable UTP Solid
    • Cat 5e Network Cable UTP Solid Low Smoke Zero Halogen

The low smoke zero halogen stuff is twice as much for 100m spool as they have an offer on.

Was wondering if they are going to provide the same "musicality" when used as FFRC cables, or if there will be a difference in sound between the two ?

Cheers

Stu

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The LSZH stuff is what's intended, it has the 8 solid core conducters that you need in it. Almost everyone on here who's made these cables has gone with this type but one member (knightshade I think) used stranded stuff instead.

Having never used the cheaper stuff I couldn't recommend one over the other, having said that the LSZH stuff only costs £30 for 100m (IIRC) so isn't exactly expensive. If you want to be sure it may be worth buying a bit of each and trying it out, maybe 3m of each to give 2 1m cables?

3. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i probably will compare the two types - i was interested as the only difference on the two appears to be that one is "low smoke zero halogen", and i dont really know in practice what this means !

when i get round to making them up I will post on a comparison

Stu

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    LSZH is intended for use as structured cabling, the kind that runs from a wall socket back to a patch panel. The only real difference is the outer casings.
    The 'Normal' stuff is used as 'fly leads' or, in other words, from the wall socket to the back of a PC.
    When the normal is bundled together, as it would be in a building behind a wall, when it gets hot it will fill a room in a few seconds with thick acrid smoke. Not the kind of situation you want to find yourself in.
    Of course none of that is relevent to us. I'd be very surprised if you can detect any audible difference between the cables if they are both solid core.
    Good luck

5. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    thanks for the info Knightshade :thumbsup: