Low res PC gaming, how good are LCDs?

C

chowells

I'm interested in using an LCD for PC gaming. I'm slightly worried that most LCD TVs only accept a VGA input signal of 1024x768 (I realise the native resolution of 32 and 37" panels is generally 1366x768 or similar). As someone that's played games at a resolution of 1600x1200 on a 22" monitor, the thought of being limited to 1024x768 resolution on a 32 or even 37" screen scares me slightly -- it will be a much lower resolution on a much larger screen.

Can anyone put my mind at rest? Will PC games look great on an LCD TV even though it's only 1024x768, or should I look elsewhere?

I have just ordered a samsung 32" HDTV. I'm currently using a NEC 20.1" 2080UX+ LCD and im gaming at 1280x1024 (max 1600x1200) with 4AA/8AF so i dont see any jaggies. Once i use the new 32" (when it arrives ^_^) i can give you a real comparison using dual view. Since the NEC LCD i got is a professional screen, which is mainly used for designers; I'm not getting my hopes high for the new 32".

thanks, that would be interesting to see.

I may have had a little breakthrough though :) According to the manual of the LG RZ-37LZ31 it will take accept an input of 1600x1200. Sounds like it's a pretty good TV from the reviews. I saw one running a HD demo in Dixons today and it was pretty good.

Hi, that LG tv only has 1280x768 pixels like some others, so it wont actually diplay 1600x1200, it will scale it down to fit the screen res. Ive just got my new 32" lcd today (Hitachi 32LD7200, with 1366X768 pixels) and tried a few games on it, and I must say it looks amazing! Ive tried the call of duty 2 demo, which is seriously good. You also feel much more involved in the games because the screen is so big!

It's 1366x768 actually. I'm aware that it will be scaled down, I'm working on the assumption that 1600x1200 scaled down to 1366x768 is going to look better than 1024x768 scaled up to 1366x768.

Recently found a nice 24.1" Eizo panel in Japan that does 1920X1200 and 16ms response. Has DVI-D and VGA so I can conect both my PC and say an XBox 360.

Contrast is also a stunning 1000:1

http://www.eizo.co.jp/products/lcd/s2410w/index.html

Ben Q more recently launched some 1920X1080 LCDs (37" and 46") as well as a rather nice 23" monitor with similar specs to the Eizo one I mentioned.

http://www.benq.com/products/productgroup.cfm?pgid=2

All of these would be amazing for games as well as other stuff like Blu Ray and HD DVD.

I know these models may not be out in the UK yet, but if you are patient it should be worth the wait.

chowells said:
I'm interested in using an LCD for PC gaming. I'm slightly worried that most LCD TVs only accept a VGA input signal of 1024x768 (I realise the native resolution of 32 and 37" panels is generally 1366x768 or similar). As someone that's played games at a resolution of 1600x1200 on a 22" monitor, the thought of being limited to 1024x768 resolution on a 32 or even 37" screen scares me slightly -- it will be a much lower resolution on a much larger screen.

Can anyone put my mind at rest? Will PC games look great on an LCD TV even though it's only 1024x768, or should I look elsewhere?

You shouldn't worry too much -
First, you actually get 1368x768, some games will support that out of the box giving you widescreen gaming rather than 4:3, otherwise you'll be effectively playing at 1024x768.

I've been playing games for the last twenty years, and was always happy with the resolution increases over the years, but I stopped upping the res at 1024x768 - going only to 1280x1024 if it's a tactical game (Civ style stuff, or C&C type games). For FPS/driving games I wouldn't not worry about the resolution. Need for speed underground looks great on my LG 32LP1D, despite running only at 1024x768.

I certainly wouldn't advise any form of downscaling scaling (ie run it at 1600x1200), it probably will just muck up the detail - (haven't tried it) and make your font look crappy.

If the resolution thing bothers you - go a 32" rather than a 37" - 'lower' resolutions look better on a smaller screen.

Just try playing at 1024x768 and see if you can live with it on your 22" - if you can't, well a big TV isn't going to make that better.

If you insist on higher resolutions. Some 37" have a native 1920x1080 screen, that really ought to be good enough.

Just got my samsung 32" hdtv today.

Here are some pics, sry for the quality, took pics with phone:

image9404vl.jpg

image9417gx.jpg

image9424uw.jpg

image9437tf.jpg

image9449hg.jpg

image9455yw.jpg

NEC 20.1" LCD 2080UX+ vs Samsung 32" LE32R41BDX (@ standard factory settings also this is a crap comparison, i cant be asked to write an essay):

Movie:

The NEC LCD produces sharper image but only noticeable at close distance (30" distance from screen) in the other hand the Samsung LCD produces a more brighter image and superior contrast which looks better from far distance (3-4 m distance). But this is acceptable for the Samsung LCD when viewed close as it is a bigger screen hence the image has to be blown up even more also the pixels are much more bigger. Overall the Samsung looks better and gives it that cinematic effect.

Gaming:

The NEC LCD has a native resolution of 1600x1200 where as the Samsung has a native resolution of 1360x768 so we can figure out which will produce better image. While gaming on counter strike source i noticed the colour on the NEC LCD is far superior then the Samsung LCD (this can be fixed if you alter with the settings i think). The NEC produces a more vivid colour tone (i guess this can be fixed on the Samsung menu as well).

The NEC LCD has a ms speed of 16 vs 12ms (12ms or 8ms ?), with a difference on ms speed it seemed the same while gaming. Both screen produced no ghosting, trails etc at all :) .

Antialiasing settings:

Since the Samsung is huge and has a lower resolution it is still acceptable as you wont be sitting so close to the screen. You will need a powerful graphics card to allow atleast 4xAA on resolution 1360x768, which will get rid of the jaggies you see. Gaming from a far distance looks great with no jaggies present.

If you wish to play pc games then i'd supggest you buy a professional LCD screen like the 2080UX+ but only if you are a hardcore gamer.

Update: I just realised my system was set at 85hz and the Samsung only supports 60hz which is why while gaming it produced inferior results, now that its set to 60hz it actually looks amazing. lol i change my mind i can say its just about on par with my NEC.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom