Low Profile Wall Mounted Speaker Recommendations Please

Shnig

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a LG G1 55 mounted cleanly so I am looking for something to match them, definitely for the centre channel, maybe for left and right too. As per attached photo I have approximately 16 cm either side of the TV for on wall speakers. Other option is a front ported bookshelves over the chairs on the back wall. I know that will sound better but I really like the current aesthetics.

Considering my setup I think my main options are Kef T 301s X 3 or Klipsch RP 240s for L&R and a Klipsch RP 640 for center. Which would you recommend or any other recommendations?

It's eventually going to be a 5.1.2 system.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG20220310014303.jpg
    IMG20220310014303.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG20220310014318.jpg
    IMG20220310014318.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 138
Would you consider "on wall" in your alcoves to give you a wider seperation?
Is the wall that your TV is mounted to hollow? i.e. could you fit an in-wall speaker in there?

Monitor Audio Apex range might fit. MA Radius also.
Thanks. Yeah, the MA RADIUS 225 would fit the bill for the LCR speakers alright. Around the same price as the kef t301/Klipsch RP on walls too. Any experience with any of them?

Would you consider "on wall" in your alcoves to give you a wider seperation?
Is the wall that your TV is mounted to hollow? i.e. could you fit an in-wall speaker in there?
So, I could, but I'm under the impression that having them in the alcove and thus behind the centre channel distance wise would cause its own issues. I know the separation on the breast isn't ideal but it's a trade off between aesthetics and sound. Not sure what I want to do.

Yeah, it's hollow but I don't want to cut big holes as I want to sell the place in a few years...

I've had the Apex. Lovely speakers. 140mm wide I think so they should fit
Yeah, look great, although possibly too deep. 140mm (A10) or 100mm (A40) deep wall mounted next to my 23mm deep wall mounted LG G1 might look odd.

Not as odd as you may think :)

1647961023836.png

There are a few options from Monitor Audio which have been mentioned although I didn't see the Soundframe being mentioned or the Kef T-Series. With any of these speaker you can any other manufacturers subwoofer. So, if you don't have one, maybe look to the SVS range as a good starter or maybe Rel who have a promotion running until the end of March 2022. Don't forget the Dali on-walls either

There are a few options from Monitor Audio which have been mentioned although I didn't see the Soundframe being mentioned or the Kef T-Series. With any of these speaker you can any other manufacturers subwoofer. So, if you don't have one, maybe look to the SVS range as a good starter or maybe Rel who have a promotion running until the end of March 2022. Don't forget the Dali on-walls either

Yeah, the KEF T Series are definitely the best fit size wise and aestheticly however some people give out about the sound quality. Do you have any experience with them?

The sound frames then are slightly too wide for what I'm looking for, as I'd have to mount them on the back wall.

Been selling them since there launch. If your looking for high fidelity speakers, then they’ll never make the grade even pairing them with a good pair of woofer. But if your looking a capable speaker solution which fits neatly into a living room without shouting “i’m here” then to me they’re a great performing speaker as nothing really gets close to the look and performance levels. The weakest bit is the woofer. But that’s normal for all systems of this nature and you can always better them with better subwoofers

One area where you can really improve the performance levels of these speakers is with better amplifier which really can equalise the room and speakers correctly as this is where people make the mistake in thinking a tiny £400/£600 woofer will be good enough whereas the best I’ve ever heard them is with an Anthem and I has a sound engineer who wanted them. He was pretty disappointed by the performance and I asked him to come back the following day once I’d hooked a better amplifier and he was astonished and bough the package right there and then

So, usually, peoples experience of the T-Series is with AV Receivers which simply don’t have the capacity to get the best out of them

As to whether you will get them to work, that will untimely depend upon what AV Receiver you put with them

Do, I like them. I think the T-101’s sound like the legendary KHT3005es with a normal AV Receiver and the T-301 at the front do make a difference

Are they as good as the Soundframes or the Apex which were based on the same speaker drivers ideas. No with a normal AV Receiver, but with a good AV Receiver behind them, they will surprise even the keenest ears in my opinion

Thanks for the reply! Would you consider the avr x1700 good enough to drive them to a satisfactory level?

Any sub recommendations? Sorry about all the questions I'm new to home theater!

If you are happy with the system sounding like a sat/sub system then the x1700 will give that. If you’re wanting more, then honestly you will hear the shortcomings

One thing to note, as you are new to the type of soundstage, you may think it sound is awesome as you haven’t any reference point which can cause the criticism effect

So, I cannot see why you wouldn’t like them plus you know you have an upgrade path to. Because of this, I’d say spend the money on the T-205 or T-305 system (if you want that look).

Make sure you wall mount all the speakers and when it come to upgrading, the speakers will easily outlast both the woofer and AV Receiver letting you know that you will improve the performance of the system system without having to upgrade the speakers

Thanks for the reply! Would you consider the avr x1700 good enough to drive them to a satisfactory level?

Any sub recommendations? Sorry about all the questions I'm new to home theater!

Shane already linked the SVS if you missed it. :) Example the compact sealed model SB1000 is on sale and probably something you could fit nicely without wife giving you hard time. There is also the newer SB1000 Pro model which is phone app controlled and has a complete new design for a little bit more. Big step up from the slim Kef or any of these usual package woofers. SVS is well known from superb customer service/support and amp warranty is 5 years!

AVForums reviewed the latest Pro model, read up:

And the "old" SB1000 with the SVS Prime speakers:

If you go with the Kef T-serie make sure you choose the taller T301 and T301c for LCR, T101 should be fine for surround duties. Personally i would look in to MA Radius 225 or Apex range which both should be step up from the ultra slim Kefs. Dali Oberon On-Wall would be great option, but Dali made big mistake not offering to sell these as single / specific horizontal On-Wall centre. If possible choose Denon X2700H as it doesn`t cost much more than X1700H. Contact the dealer so you get some kind of package deal as you spending 2,5-3k£!

If possible spread the mains in the alcoves cause 55" tv and speakers each side and centre below = all crambed tightly together.

Would sound better if you can spread them apart more like this (M&K on-walls):

20180103_183938-jpg.960572

If possible spread the mains in the alcoves cause 55" tv and speakers each side and centre below = all crambed tightly together.

Would sound better if you can spread them apart more like this (M&K on-walls):

20180103_183938-jpg.960572
This looks fine but I thought you were supposed to have LCR all on the same horizontal plane?

Thanks. Yeah, the MA RADIUS 225 would fit the bill for the LCR speakers alright. Around the same price as the kef t301/Klipsch RP on walls too. Any experience with any of them?
Think the Apex's are a similar size to the radius, so should fit too. @markb1980 uses Apex A40's as his LCR around his TV, so can give an idea on how they sound!

This looks fine but I thought you were supposed to have LCR all on the same horizontal plane?

You mean all speakers horizontally "laying" like the centre? That would be no. You would mount them so that the tweeters would be close to seated ear height and the L/R would be vertically upright.

You mean all speakers horizontally "laying" like the centre? That would be no. You would mount them so that the tweeters would be close to seated ear height and the L/R would be vertically upright.
No, as in having them all equidistant from the listening position.

The A40’s fit great around my LG CX and sound great too. I was looking at a few of the options mentioned above and decided on these thanks to @Jester1066 and don’t regret it.

B3C01A8D-72DB-4660-8CB0-F62036812A1C.jpeg

06E91859-1E75-480B-B8A2-363009C016AE.jpeg

No, as in having them all equidistant from the listening position.

Ah ok. It won´t be problem though. Your receiver auto setup will set levels and distances as required. If you could mount them about midway of each alcoves and so that tweeters would be at seated ear height then great!

Not as odd as you may think :)

View attachment 1671609
That looks great to be fair!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom