Low Profile Wall Mounted Speaker Recommendations Please

Shane already linked the SVS if you missed it. :) Example the compact sealed model SB1000 is on sale and probably something you could fit nicely without wife giving you hard time. There is also the newer SB1000 Pro model which is phone app controlled and has a complete new design for a little bit more. Big step up from the slim Kef or any of these usual package woofers. SVS is well known from superb customer service/support and amp warranty is 5 years!

AVForums reviewed the latest Pro model, read up:

And the "old" SB1000 with the SVS Prime speakers:

If you go with the Kef T-serie make sure you choose the taller T301 and T301c for LCR, T101 should be fine for surround duties. Personally i would look in to MA Radius 225 or Apex range which both should be step up from the ultra slim Kefs. Dali Oberon On-Wall would be great option, but Dali made big mistake not offering to sell these as single / specific horizontal On-Wall centre. If possible choose Denon X2700H as it doesn`t cost much more than X1700H. Contact the dealer so you get some kind of package deal as you spending 2,5-3k£!
That's great advice thanks. I just thought that in general people here recommend the 1700 over the 2700 as there wasn't much to gain, am I missing something?

Think the Apex's are a similar size to the radius, so should fit too. @markb1980 uses Apex A40's as his LCR around his TV, so can give an idea on how they sound!
All you guys are killing me with the apex recommendations haha. I think I'll have to go that direction now. Although the a40s are way over my budget so I think I'm going to have to build the system slower and look second hand!

I just don't think I can get the t series in good conscience anymore!

That looks fantastic! I take it you're very happy with how it sounds?

What sub/avr did you pair them with?

Yes very happy with the sound. Obviously it’s not a dedicated cinema room so there are some compromises and the front right is to close to the side wall etc so I doubt I will ever get the very best out of them but I am happy with it. I pair with a BK double gem sub and a Denon AVR X3500. I also added some Dali Alteco’s for front heights and have the A10’s for surrounds.
B8C40B7F-6D9A-4297-BFF9-D9F1E415F2DC.jpeg

1CDD0BE4-3F94-4EFB-9C15-F1FD8E444408.jpeg

All you guys are killing me with the apex recommendations haha. I think I'll have to go that direction now. Although the a40s are way over my budget so I think I'm going to have to build the system slower and look second hand!

I just don't think I can get the t series in good conscience anymore!
The A40's are (Imo) a far better speaker than the t-series. I'm yet to find anyone who doesn't like them!

Deals can be had (if buying multiple A40's) - Just ask @markb1980 🤣😉. You can also add the surrounds - which don't have to brand match btw - at a later date.

That's great advice thanks. I just thought that in general people here recommend the 1700 over the 2700 as there wasn't much to gain, am I missing something?

Below is some comparison. There was talk long time ago in US forum about the "high grade audio components" in Denons and not to buy the cheapest model cause they were brought to service lot more often than some higher models. This guy was repairing these receivers. It really won´t hurt to have tad more power and larger caps either. You should be able to make deal if you buy speakers and receiver together (Peter Tyson/Richer Sounds at least) so the 100£ price difference is shrinking. Do not pay list prices never!!!

X1700H is not typical partner with the likes of MA Apex. We have members running over 2000£ costing Anthems with Apexes and i would say normally 1000-1500£ receivers like Denon 3000/4000 serie would be typical combo.

denon comparison.png

Below is some comparison. There was talk long time ago in US forum about the "high grade audio components" in Denons and not to buy the cheapest model cause they were brought to service lot more often than some higher models. This guy was repairing these receivers. It really won´t hurt to have tad more power and larger caps either. You should be able to make deal if you buy speakers and receiver together (Peter Tyson/Richer Sounds at least) so the 100£ price difference is shrinking. Do not pay list prices never!!!

X1700H is not typical partner with the likes of MA Apex. We have members running over 2000£ costing Anthems with Apexes and i would say normally 1000-1500£ receivers like Denon 3000/4000 serie would be typical combo.

View attachment 1672489
So if I had a chance to buy a x4500 for €950 that would better do the job than a x2700 ye think? Obviously no avr is future proof but I hate buying old tech.

So if I had a chance to buy a x4500 for €950 that would better do the job than a x2700 ye think? Obviously no avr is future proof but I hate buying old tech.
I have a 4500 - it's a fab AVR. As long as you dont/won't need the newer 8k HDMI stuff, mainly used for latest gen Consoles like the PS5, X Box One X, it'll be great. Even if you have one of those Consoles, you can connect straight to the TV - then use Arc/eArc to convey the audio from the console.

I have a 4500 - it's a fab AVR. As long as you dont/won't need the newer 8k HDMI stuff, mainly used for latest gen Consoles like the PS5, X Box One X, it'll be great. Even if you have one of those Consoles, you can connect straight to the TV - then use Arc/eArc to convey the audio from the console.
Ah perfect thanks. Yeah, the only newer thing that would bother me is earc and Denons site says the 4500 has it. Sounds like a good buy so!

Ah perfect thanks. Yeah, the only newer thing that would bother me is earc and Denons site says the 4500 has it. Sounds like a good buy so!
I'd say - it's one of the best of the X*500 series receivers tbh. Mines been as stable as a rock. I'll be keeping it until I can afford to go full pre/pro setup.

I'd say - it's one of the best of the X*500 series receivers tbh. Mines been as stable as a rock. I'll be keeping it until I can afford to go full pre/pro setup.
That's good to hear! Although I thought there was full pre outs on the 4500?

So I don't know whether to thank you all or not. I came in planning on buying a x1700, and a Kef T205 system. I'm leaving planning on buying a x4500 with apexes all round at roughly double the price haha.

Last edited:
That's good to hear! Although I thought there was full pre outs on the 4500?
It does indeed have full pre outs. I'm currently using the front L&R pre outs to an Audiolab 6000A - which has HT Bypass. All my 2 channel music goes through the 6000A, which also acts as a power amp for the same front speakers in my 5.2.4 surround setup.

I plan to do the upgrade (to full pre/pro) in stages. Probably starting with some multichannel power amps, then swap out the 4500 for a dedicated AV processor (eg Anthem, Arcam etc).

So I don't know whether to thank you all or not. I came in planning on buying a x1700, and a Kef T205 system. I'm leaving planning on. Buying a x4500 with apexes all round at roughly double the price haha.
Ha! I'll leave you to decide that after you've got it all setup and listened to it....

But I think ill know the answer! 😉

P.S: Happy to help with any setup/configuration questions too.

P.P.S: Have you decided on a subwoofer? 🤣

For sure much better! How old unit is it, does it have some extended warranty still on which can be transfered to 2nd owner?

It does indeed have full pre outs. I'm currently using the front L&R pre outs to an Audiolab 6000A - which has HT Bypass. All my 2 channel music goes through the 6000A, which also acts as a power amp for the same front speakers in my 5.2.4 surround setup.

I plan to do the upgrade (to full pre/pro) in stages. Probably starting with some multichannel power amps, then swap out the 4500 for a dedicated AV processor (eg Anthem, Arcam etc).

Ha! I'll leave you to decide that after you've got it all setup and listened to it....

But I think ill know the answer! 😉

P.S: Happy to help with any setup/configuration questions too.

P.P.S: Have you decided on a subwoofer? 🤣
Nice, upgraditis or to solve a shortcoming? Either way sounds great!

Cheers thanks! No I'm no closer to choosing a sub, that's down the line. It'll be avr, then L&R, then center, then sub, then two rear speakers, then eventually two front elevation speakers for Atmos. All this over the course of months.

Although my gf wasn't delighted with the look of them: "Is there any ones that are more angular ? I don't like that they're rounded.
The house has such nice clean lines and pared back the roundness looks shite." To be honest I think she might be right, so I could be back to the kef t series. Albeit with the 4500 driving them. 🙈

I've been eyeing that 4500 too. Try and haggle with them a bit as I'd say they are keen to shift it.
Yeah, it looks like a great offer. Going to see can I get them down a bit but I suspect that's the lowest they'll go.

Would it be mental to suggest something like the Btech BT77 wall brackets mounted on the side of the chimney breast? Then turn them 90 degrees to face forward? You are diving yourself some proper bookshelf options now like the Monitor Audio Silver 50 or other similar size speakers. I'm looking at my BT77's here with the older Silver 50's (RX1) mounted and they should work.

Another option could be the MK Sound M70 speaker if you are looking for something similar in shape to the A40 but not rounded. Not cheap either but dare I say it should be better.

Would be nice with the M90 for the center channel and the M50 or M40T surrounds. Could be a lovely system and available in black or white. Might work for the gf.

Last edited:
Nice, upgraditis or to solve a shortcoming? Either way sounds great!
No shortcomings. My "end goal" has always been to go full pre/pro eventually! Budget constraints just mpean I'll have to do it in stages and the full set of preouts on the Denon allow for this. Ie, I cam buy the requisite number of multichannel amps and use them with the Denon. Then get a top notch processor at a later date.

I'm happy with the speakers/subs now. Also more than happy with the Denon until i achieve my end goal. It really is a fabulous receiver!

ohh did i also mention, im looking to get an electric drop down screen & projector too! 😂
Although my gf wasn't delighted with the look of them: "Is there any ones that are more angular ? I don't like that they're rounded.
The house has such nice clean lines and pared back the roundness looks sh*te." To be honest I think she might be right, so I could be back to the kef t series. Albeit with the 4500 driving them. 🙈
Can't think of anything more angular tbh.

If your gf (and you) really don't like the Apex's, the MK's that @sjackson mentions above are a good alternative. You could also bracket mount some smaller bookshelf speakers as he suggests. Although most of these speakers are very boxy in nature and positioning and getting a centre channel to match, could be an issue. Having said that there are wall brackets to mount a centre speaker too.

If it were me I'd go with the MK or Apex option.

P.S: left field thought. Could you position some slim floorstanders either side of the chimney breast, so the front of the speaker cabinet was level with said chimney breast?

Last edited:
im looking to get an electric drop down screen & projector too! 😂

Put the order in mate! It´s time. 😎 Biggest single thing you can do to get closer to real cinema vibe. Just see the comments by 80" oled guys, they still miss the screen+projector combo! Acoustically transparent screen would be best so you don´t have to compromise center channel location and perhaps could go slightly larger screen too (if screen drops in front of mains too). Just need to be carefull with the projector so you find fairly silent one. The noise of my Benq drive me nuts, maybe it`s not issue in dedicated room but in apartment you can`t go balls to walls daily and esp late night so the fans can be heard. Just a heads up as you will be doing search for the right product. Bribe wife and get the ball rolling! 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom