Low profile VGA card

Mr Grumpy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before.
My employer is giving me a new computer as I am field based and it's a decent enough spec (P4 3Ghz, 1Gb ram etc) but it only has onboard graphics.
I had a bit of a hunt round last night for a low profile pci-e card (yup it's a small case...grr) and there aren't a lot out there from what I could see.
Any recommendations on where I might be able to get hold of such a card.

:thumbsup:

Ah, well the description definitely does say low profile, but the picture shows the card with a full height back plate so am maybe asking the wrong question. I had assumed that low profile would refer to the card's height but is that not the case ?
Basically it has to fit into a 'small form factor' case, something I omitted from the first post - sorry for the confusion.

It depends how much you want to pay and what you want it for - At the bottom end there are a few X600SE's floating about. I think quite a few were built OEM for Dells. I have one atm which has a DVI out. Not tried it out as I don't have a low profile case. If you google X600SE low profile there are a couple of spots selling for under £30ish.

we use ati radion x300s, only 35quid ish last year

dual output (VGA and DVI)

Thanks for the replies guys, despite my best efforts to confuse you with my first post :rolleyes:

TBH it's really a general use machine that I would like to be able to play the odd new game without having to turn off all the eye candy. Is this realistically possible or should I start looking at ways of modifying the casework to accept a full fat card (it's ok I fix 'puters for a living so I 'should' be safe.... ;) )

you're unlikely to be able to play games with the full effects, the SFF case is not the only conisderation as the power supply on SFF machines tends to be pretty low as well so you might come across some problems if you mod your case to fit in the latest greatest gfx card. Heat and consequently stability is also an issue.

I have a couple of SFF machines and the higher-end low-profile cards with brackets are notoriously difficult to fin. It's pretty much only Powercolor, XFX and AOpen that do them and even if you can find them on their websites, finding a UK supplier is a different matter.

Mr Grumpy said:
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before.
My employer is giving me a new computer as I am field based and it's a decent enough spec (P4 3Ghz, 1Gb ram etc) but it only has onboard graphics.
I had a bit of a hunt round last night for a low profile pci-e card (yup it's a small case...grr) and there aren't a lot out there from what I could see.
Any recommendations on where I might be able to get hold of such a card.

:thumbsup:

I have one of these :

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=320412

it's a low profile card but with a full height bracket. I have a SFF PC like you anmd have just removed the bracket plate until I can be bothered to order one of these which will do the trick:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=316469&cks=ACC

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=308167

Looks like a 7300 is the way to go then, and that's a complete bargain too.

Thanks for all your help guys, it's been hugely appreciated. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom