Low Profile Freeview tuner, cheap compatible card?

gphillips

Hi

Im about ready with all the required components but am about out of cash with the last step.. a freeview tuner.

I have been advised to buy the Black Gold but I think it is a bit expensive for me at the moment.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a half-height freeview card that is compaible with MCE?

Will any windows compatible card work, or is there a specific feature that is required?

Are the usual connectors on the rear of a freeview card not used in a Media centre configuration? (such as TV out etc)

Anybody have anything they want to selll to upgrade? !!

deksawyer

Will any windows compatible card work, or is there a specific feature that is required?

You need MCE specific drivers, so need a card that has BDA driver support.

Are the usual connectors on the rear of a freeview card not used in a Media centre configuration? (such as TV out etc)

DVB-T cards don't have TV out.

If cash is tight, then try an external tuner, such as a Nova-t USB (used, ebay, fairly cheap) or one of those small usb tuners that plug directly into the USB socket.

There's also a few Sweetspot tuners on ebay atm, they don't have low profile brackets, but I guess you could buy these from Black Gold themselves....

D.

WheresMyArtisan

I've got a Black Gold in a low-profile MCE PC. I've also got a LifeView card in another (full height case). This comes with a full height bracket, but it looks like a low-profile card. If you can get a bracket then it should go in. Check the dimensions first though - I haven't measured it. You should be able to find one of these for £30-odd.

You need a card that has BDA drivers supplied for it. There are loads to choose from, and very little difference between them in use. You're right in that you only use the aerial in socket - everything else is redundant.

WheresMyArtisan

deksawyer said:
they don't have low profile brackets, but I guess you could buy these from Black Gold themselves....

The retailer I bought my Black Gold from would supply the low-pro bracket for an extra quid or so, but only if ordering a card at the same time.

WheresMyArtisan said:
The retailer I bought my Black Gold from would supply the low-pro bracket for an extra quid or so, but only if ordering a card at the same time.

Or you can just grab a pair of pliers and bend the pci backplate and snap the excess bit off...

Media-Man

WheresMyArtisan said:

Pluggedin.tv and I sell them seperatly for a couple of quid plus P&P. Not sure about black gold TBH

HiZ

meansizzler said:
Or you can just grab a pair of pliers and bend the pci backplate and snap the excess bit off...

Yeeeeharrrrrr

Then use stickyback plastic to fasten them in.

Actually i can't talk cos my IR sensor uses Blutak? to hold it in position on the top of my LC17.

B

BigBry

Can anybody point me in the direction of a half-height freeview card

If you just want a half height card with a normal size bracket the Compro T200 is MCE 2005 compatible and around £40.

WheresMyArtisan

I think low profile brackets also have a shorter tab at the bottom. I remember comparing the two for my Black Gold, and they were different in terms of the distance between the PCB mounting and the bottom of the bracket.

It would need some careful botching, then would probably look crap. If you get it too short then the PCI slot won't connect properly.

If you value your time at more than £5 per hour then you're probably better off getting a Black Gold.

weebroonieuk

Standard Member
spend the few extra quid once and be done with it ......... i purchased a couple of sweetspots from media.tv above arrived fast good service and for all the difference in price between those and cheaper ones it isnt really worth the hassle you can have with the cheaper ones

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom