Low Power Televisions

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not quite right now, but soon, I'm going to be looking for a new TV.
Make unimportant.
Cheap and non branded is fine
Looking at around the 40" screen size.

However... The No.1 thing is low power.
It's going to get used, around 12 hours a day, every day, so the pennies mount up.

I see all manner of specs to hunt through when looking for TV's, but they power they draw never really seems to be highlighted.

Could anyone give me some starting points as to what to look for, or some makes/brands/tech? to look at, for it's super low power consumption?

Thanks

Just to update, I think may statement of "not right now" is going to be a LOT sooner than I thought due to what I've just seen.
I just looked on the back of the old Toshiba 720p TV set in question, and it's 195w !!!!!!!!

So 200 watts is running for approx 12 hours a day and thats NOT acceptable.

It's a 37" 720p Toshiba, still lovely set, in the "built like a tank" eara of about 5 / 6 years ago?

So, I guess I'm looking at, 42" ish, 1080p and only sips electricity

I know this is not your normal question, as everyone wants OMG picture quality, but I thought power consumption may have been discussed perhaps here?

If you look on richer sounds website they must the power consumption , a typical 40" TV uses around 60 watts , can't see you getting much lower than that , have fun looking at most possibly the most boring TV spec ever lol ....

Last edited:
Back in the days of plasma, it wasn't uncommon for a 50-60" set to use >300W when running - sometimes even higher. European legislation on high power consumer electronic devices was one of the reasons plasmas died a death. Modern LED's are *way* more power efficient. Even a calibrated 65" LED should only use ~100w, although HDR will bump that usage up when engaged. I really wouldn't worry. A 40" LED won't use much more energy than a standard lightbulb.

From what I can find so far, LG seems to have the lowest power sets, with an A++ energy rating and only 30w when powered on, which seems amazing.
Not sure if they are alone in the A++ category

I did wonder if audio volume level was taken into account.
Are some cheating, by saying super low, with the volume at zero?

A lot of LCD TV's have ECO power save modes built in but I imagine most never use them, that may lower the power draw but it may also affect the image on the TV particularly with brightness.

Thanks that's an excellent point.... No point if it says low power if it's unusable with that setting

The power consumption on a 40" LED LCD, it will be 50-80w or something like that, select the TV depending on which has the best image quality. You can also lower the power consumption by lowering the brightness. 55"+ FALD TV or OLED then the power consumption goes up, 40" LED TV they all have low power.

Last edited:
Just to update, I think may statement of "not right now" is going to be a LOT sooner than I thought due to what I've just seen.
I just looked on the back of the old Toshiba 720p TV set in question, and it's 195w !!!!!!!!

That's likely maximum power consumption rather than typical. It could be half that and even less is certainly a possibility.

The details of how the energy efficiency label figures are calculated are here:
L_2010314EN.01006401.xml

It seems as if it's calculated using whatever default settings the manufacturer delivers the TV with. Including brightness, which has a big impact on power consumption.

Having said that, LG's UH600 series (except the UH630/UH635) and UH750 leave the colour filter off some of their subpixels. It doesn't do any favours for colour saturation, but it does mean less of the light from the backlight gets filtered out and consequently it's less bright for the same TV brightness. And all else being equal, a less bright light draws less power.

As a general trend I'd also expect lower end TVs to use less power.

And ultimately you have to look at the overall cost. There's no point spending £100 more on a TV if it's only 5W difference.

There is no point getting a 40" LED LCD based on power consumption, get which ever one looks best, I would get Sony or Panasonic, they are the best TV brands.

40" LED LCD all have low power consumption, the difference might be 30w between different models, which could be due to settings, eg. lower brightness... for example 30w difference, 12 hours per day, 16p per KW/H, is approx £20 a year, if you go for a 55"+ FALD LCD or OLED, the power will be higher, all new 40" LED LCD have low power consumption.

Am I missing something here but surely we are talking about pennies per day?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom