Low Power Server/XBMC/Light Gaming Machine Advice!

Nokmondoo

Hi all, I currently have a HP Microserver NL36 which holds all of my media (3 x 2tb hdd) and runs XBMC over hdmi to my projector.

It also runs air video and Plex to transcode movies to various other devices I have.

For the most part it is absolutely fine but it does struggle with transcoding some 1080p stuff and obviously it's no good for any gaming.

The Microserver idles at around 30/40 watts I think.

I'm going to try and replace it with a machine that will have no problem transcoding 1080p material, runs efficiently so I have no problem leaving it on for long periods and is also capable of a bit of gaming. Just Fifa, Pro Evo and maybe a bit of racing.

Can anyone point me at some components that tick the boxes?!

I'm thinking maybe i3, the low power version? I'm a bit rusty on the latest gear! Graphics card nothing fancy, just FIFA at 1080p on high will do me, without using much power of course if it's going to be running all the time.

Anyway, enough of the rambling, if you have some ideas then I'm all ears!!

Nokmondoo

I'm mainly bothered about the idling power being low.

If the power gets up a bit when playing the odd game I can deal with that, just don't want it idling at 100 watts all day!

paulktreg

If you're transcoding then a quad core Intel processor would be my CPU of choice. Perhaps a i5 3450S combined with a good quality mATX motherboard with on board graphics?

Nokmondoo

paulktreg said:
If you're transcoding then a quad core Intel processor would be my CPU of choice. Perhaps a i5 3450S combined with a good quality mATX motherboard with on board graphics?
That would not be good enough for gaming I imagine?

How much power consumption would a sub £100 card use?

Would there be any way of only using the card to play games and use onboard graphics for media playback?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom