1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

low power consumption

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rab4169, Sep 13, 2005.

1. rab4169

rab4169
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i keep reading on these forums of cool n quiet and low power consumption htpc`s. what would you class a low power ?
    i tried a few setups as i wanted a htpc but also to be left on 24/7 to download off the net ,with my maplin digital watt reader most systems i ran came out at about 100 watts just for the pc with no monitor added so i set up a 2500 barton for my htpc which is only on about 2 hours a day and decided to build a server pc for the garage from an old celeron 433 and 256 mem which now runs between 37 to 50 watts depending on hd access.

what do you count as low power for a pc and what watts does your system use.

hope this makes a good thread as it could save members a few pounds on electricity. i have already halved my consumption moving to this setup.

2. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So your server is a Celeron 433 without a monitor and runs 37-50 watts - what kind of power cost is that if it's on 24 hours a day?

I've been wondering about power consumption too - I'd like to leave my (one) PC in a really low power state, just to switch on to record off my DAB card and then switch back down again, for example. I know my motherboard supports waking from PCI devices etc, but that obviously requires some power permanently on through it.

So really any info you have, rab4169, or anyone else about how much power a PC consumes, or how watts translate to money, would be very interesting...

3. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Being in the process of trying to reduce the power wasted by my PCs I can give you some figures.

EPIA 533MHz mini ITX PC 30W
    EPIA 1G mini ITX PC 39W
    AMD Sempron 2400 (with 11 hard disc drives) 205W
    AMD Sempron 2800 109W
    Mac mini 1.25G 20W

Tivo (with 2 hard discs) + Sky box 50W

dancingmatt it should be possible to hibernate your PC between recordings; apparently the Nebula card & software lets you do this, although I haven't tried it myself. In hibernate mode the PC switches everything off, so the only power consumed is that used by the power supply which will be about 5W.

Working out the costs is easy. Electricity is sold by units, one unit is 1kWhr. To work out the cost of running a device you multiply the power consumption by the time you are using it for, divide by 1000 and multiply by your unit rate. So for my server for a day it's (205 x 24 / 1000) x 6.22, or about 31p per day.

Bill