1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low plasma furniture for eye-level viewing

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by square_eyes, Oct 24, 2004.

1. square_eyes

square_eyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't like to look up at a TV screen - it doesn't feel natural and my degenerating neck vertebrae complain. I'm therefore looking for a very low AV plinth, up to 26cm high only which my Panny Viera could sit on and still be level with my eyes. The 26cm base would be high enough to house a row of components but since I want 3 or 4 devices side by side, my plinth would be wide, maybe up to 200cm wide. I guess I won't find anything like this off the shelf so I've sketched it out at http://www.pr100.plus.com/AV/AVbox.html and would be grateful to know:

a) will it collapse?
    b) could it be improved?
    c) is there anyone near Maidenhead/Reading who could build it for me?

This is to fit into a corner and is therefore triangular, albeit with the back of the triangle cut away to allow my sub to sit behind on the floor, right in the corner.

Thanks for any help.

Simon
    sc@pr100.com
    Tel: 0118 940 3785

2. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not a furniture maker! but am about to build myself a stand from MDF so could maybe help you out.

My design for you would have a single piece top, 4 verticals going to the floor, and three 'suspended' shelves between the verticals. This would be free standing (ie not connected to the wall) but have just as snug fitting top as if it did. Lateral stabilty is provided by the angled outer verticals, so it doesn't need the wall to not collapse.

I could route a curved front edge to all pieces of MDF. Top could be screwed from aboved and filled, or could have screw plates in the internal corners.

I wouldn't paint it for you and you'd have to collect form Bristol.

What's all that worth to you? (or feel free to use my design ideas!)

I haven't looked into smoked glass (yet) for my project.

Jim

3. square_eyes

square_eyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your thoughts, Jim. I doubt that I have the height for the luxury of 'suspended' shelves because my amp is nearly 17cm high. I had assumed that a single top piece and a single bottom piece would be the most robust and space-efficient route, perhaps even doing without feet or castors if necessary to keep the overall height under 26cm. What is it worth to me? I have absolutely no idea. I could look at IKEA prices or at Rolls Royce -- but I've seen vaguely similar things at IKEA (half the width but I could get a pair) for not-much, maybe £40...

Simon

4. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By suspended I just meant they are between verticals, I was picturing the verticals resting straight on the floor. Your way is better, with 2 or 3 attached feet below each vertical.

2 IKEA units (square presumably) > I just don't think you'll be very happy with that after your custom design!

This would be extremely easy to make if you were happy with the following approach: 1220x2440 18mm MDF from B&Q £12. Use the 4 free B&Q cuts to produce 5 pieces (2440x200, 2240x510,2240x510, 510x200,510x200). Cut the diagonals ends yourself on the top and bottom pieces (circular saw). Chop the long strip to make the 2 outer verticals 850mm long or whatever they work out to be. Make all the joints by screwing through the top and bottom into the edge of the verticals (pre-drill and countersink, and use eg 4 longish screws per joint). Use filler on the top surface holes. Routing a rounded edge on the front is optional, but the outer verticals are going to look odd unless you mitre the edge to 45 degress).

I haven't actually got a router or circular saw, but there the instructions are, you just need a volunteer. This screwing method is tried and tested even if it sounds a bit gash. If you can't find anyone else, I'd do the above (minus filling, painting, and feet) for £40 + £15 materials. Should be building mine sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Jim

5. square_eyes

square_eyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Appreciate your enthusiasm, Jim but methinks I'll find someone local - and hopefully someone who already owns the tools! And rather than raw MDF, I'll opt for the stuff which comes with a black laminate - which looks pretty good and takes the painting out of the equation. I'm nervous about long screws in 18mm board - it can split too easily. I might go for small angle brackets instead.

Simon

6. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've built lots of (DVD) shelving lately. The shelves were just 120mm deep and I screwed 2 50mm screws into each end. Obviously had the right size pilot drill because didn't get a single split and the joint is rigid (and quite strong on my test piece). Of course you have a screw head to deal with.

Quite glad you don't want me to do it, because my plans have changed already. I'm going to make do with an old Target stand for the time being.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  8. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There goes any thoughts of getting into furniture manufacture. It's all so cheap!

9. square_eyes

square_eyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  11. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it hard to believe that 15cm above 'optimum' is going to do your neck any damage. How about putting your neck where you like it and doing the extra 15cm with your eyeballs ?