• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Low-Pass Filter for the LFE Channel ?????

tinmanuk

Ok guys, i give up :rolleyes: What setting should I use 80-100 or120hz for the LPF LFE sub bit

I have the Onky tx-sr605 and Onkyo 528 5.1 speakers/sub

j0hn

Banned
The LPF of the LFE is separate from the speaker crossover. Some say the sound mixer should not use the full channel which is spec'd to go all the way upto 120hz, others say you should set it to 80hz just incase a mixer has mixed the LFE upto 120hz.

Ya makes ya choice and loves with it.

tinmanuk

Ok guys so its either 80 or 120 now :rotfl:

j0hn

Banned
well the mixer should generally not mix above 80hz (so im told). When they do it becomes localised, ie you can hear where its coming from and it puts greater demands on your sub. So if they havent mixed all is fine, but it they did then you'll hear it. So you set it to 80 and you wont, its like a saftey net. You makes your choice

tinmanuk

Found this which seems to hint at 120hz :rolleyes:Quote:
Originally Posted by dante01
LPF of LFE basically throws away the LFE above the value you specify, stopping those frequencies from reaching the sub. This would allow you to fine tune the mid range frequencies so that you can determine whether there's an overlap of the frequencies the speakers and the sub handles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante01
Quote:
Originally Posted by namuk
LPF of LFE , when your running Audyssey the only Hz you have to set is 120 .. no other number should be seen , if you set 80Hz you will miss out on 80-120hz Material .

Really. So why do Audyssey advise Audyssey users to set all their crossovers to 80Hz?

Reading these two comments clearly indicates confusion about the LFE...
you seem to think that the LPF of LFE has something to do with the crossovers.
The LFE is a separate channel which has nothing to do with the bass from the other speakers.
The Subwoofer gets it content from:
1) the LFE channel which is specified to be able to contain content between 3-120hz with Dolby Digital sources. If you set the LPF of LFE to 80hz, it will, like namuk says, discard any content in the 80-120hz region.
2) the redirected bass from the other channels (fronts,centre,surround) which is controlled by each speaker's crossover setting which does not have anything in common to the LPF of LFE. The reason 80hz is usually cited is that it is a ballpark figure to use, it is not a fixed number set in stone.
Look at this picture, AVS Forum

tinmanuk

so why ask if you have all the answers? just go and enjoy watching some movies
Only recently found that but to be honest still not convinced either way, oh well guess i've just got time to cram in another viewing of star trek :smashin:

j0hn

Banned
I think it makes no sense for the LPF to loose any info if you set it to 80hz. People will argue that if you set your speaker crossover to 120hz and your LPF to 80 you will loose from 80-120. Ok so what when you set your speakers to 150 and above?

LPF is seperate, anyone care to run frequency tests to find out? I cant be arsed :)

namuk

Distinguished Member
I think it makes no sense for the LPF to loose any info if you set it to 80hz. People will argue that if you set your speaker crossover to 120hz and your LPF to 80 you will loose from 80-120. Ok so what when you set your speakers to 150 and above?

LPF is seperate, anyone care to run frequency tests to find out? I cant be arsed :)

120hz for Lpe-lfe is the only number you should be putting in when running Audyessy simple as that, like you say the sad thing is arguments happen:thumbsdow

Best way is to Contact Cris and say what amp you have We Do Amazing Things With Sound - Audyssey | Contact Us

there is even a Faq section posted above .. :smashin:

NorthStar

Like namuk said (post #14), the Low Pass Filter for the LFE Channel only,
should be set at 120hz.

* It does not affect in anyway the x-overs from your speakers.

james.miller

i dont want 80-120hz getting to my sub, its too directional and 'obvious'. so i set it to 80hz. simples.

anybody who tries to state an OPINION as fact needs to be shot. or at least punched in the arm!

Last edited:

rickardl

We have been here before :)
but I will just add that if the sound mixer has decided that there should be above 80hz content
in the LFE channel coming only from the sub, it is probably there for a reason.

When we all know that, it is everybody's own preference to throw that away,
just like james.miller writes (and does).

namuk

Distinguished Member
People use to say the Earth was not Round, i no for a Fact the Guy from Audyssey Did not say this ..:rotfl:

j0hn

Banned
People use to say the Earth was not Round, i no for a Fact the Guy from Audyssey Did not say this ..:rotfl:

would that be the same guy who used to say My AVR-3806 Audyssey experience! (measurements inside) - AVS Forum

bold added by me
The simple solution is to make the bass management mode (under Subwoofer mode in the setup menu) to be "LFE+Main". In retrospect, I believe this should be the default mode for the receiver, but in any case this is a simple thing to check. Putting the system in this mode allows "Large" speakers to be bass managed at the crossover frequency found by MultEQ (you can see what this is in the crossover set up menu once you switch to LFE+Main.

but now says stuff like and this is only one instance Audyssey | Blog Archive | Small vs. Large

Finally, Audyssey does not set or recommend LFE+Main. That needs to be eliminated from receivers. Until then, please set it to LFE.

are we coming or are we going :D

disclaimer : posted in fun but quotes are all true

namuk

Distinguished Member
Thats the Guy and there on about Crossover, the LPE-LFE has nothing todo with Crossovers ..

I take it you never Emailed and asked Direct About LPE-LFE (post 14)

Invictus140

Standard Member
Hiya Guys I find this to be a very interesting post. I fully understand LFE has nothing to do with crossovers. I have that all sussed. But I do have a question regarding sub frequency response and LFE are they one and the same? I am getting delivered today a very expensive Sunfire True Eq signature 12 Sub It is 2700 watts with a tracking down convertrer (changes voltage input in accordance with listening demand) Now the ratings on this Bob Carver designed Sub are 16hz to 100 hz frequency response. Now I have crossovers sussed and frequency response from research and all you guys on this excellent forum. So here goes my question. Is LFE regarded in the frequency response stats? Or is it something different? Low Pass Filter or frequency response. What is the go there. This sub has won heaps of awards and Im getting the only one in Australia left for 6 weeks it has been at the Cedia expo. So these guys have it sussed. So setting LFE after running room Eq on the Sub and Audyessy. The big question as the Sub is 16-100hz surely theres something I am missing here Bob Carver would not design his flagship sub so its missing 20hz on the LFE range if i set LFE to 120hz on the av receiver? I have read stron points regarding setting LFE to 80hz is Sunfire in aggreance to that? Or is it simply that frequency responce and low pass and Lfe are different. This is a long post and I would greatly appreciate any feedback. You have all been great in the past so am looking forward to hearing from you.
Cheers guys
Justin:thumbsup:

rickardl

would that be the same guy who used to say My AVR-3806 Audyssey experience! (measurements inside) - AVS Forum

bold added by me

but now says stuff like and this is only one instance Audyssey | Blog Archive | Small vs. Large

are we coming or are we going :D

disclaimer : posted in fun but quotes are all true

Chris Kyriakakis, Co-founder and Chief Technology officer for Audyssey Laboratories, sends his regards and says he is a lot wiser now. :hiya:
And that in 2006 he was not given the full story on what the LFE+Main mode actually does. The current advice stands: do no use LFE+Main/Double Bass.

j0hn

Banned
Chris Kyriakakis, Co-founder and Chief Technology officer for Audyssey Laboratories, sends his regards and says he is a lot wiser now. :hiya:
And that in 2006 he was not given the full story on what the LFE+Main mode actually does. The current advice stands: do no use LFE+Main/Double Bass.

yea I was just poking fun at namuk but he didnt seem to get it :rolleyes:

j0hn

Banned
Hiya Guys I find this to be a very interesting post. I fully understand LFE has nothing to do with crossovers. I have that all sussed. But I do have a question regarding sub frequency response and LFE are they one and the same? I am getting delivered today a very expensive Sunfire True Eq signature 12 Sub It is 2700 watts with a tracking down convertrer (changes voltage input in accordance with listening demand) Now the ratings on this Bob Carver designed Sub are 16hz to 100 hz frequency response. Now I have crossovers sussed and frequency response from research and all you guys on this excellent forum. So here goes my question. Is LFE regarded in the frequency response stats? Or is it something different? Low Pass Filter or frequency response. What is the go there. This sub has won heaps of awards and Im getting the only one in Australia left for 6 weeks it has been at the Cedia expo. So these guys have it sussed. So setting LFE after running room Eq on the Sub and Audyessy. The big question as the Sub is 16-100hz surely theres something I am missing here Bob Carver would not design his flagship sub so its missing 20hz on the LFE range if i set LFE to 120hz on the av receiver? I have read stron points regarding setting LFE to 80hz is Sunfire in aggreance to that? Or is it simply that frequency responce and low pass and Lfe are different. This is a long post and I would greatly appreciate any feedback. You have all been great in the past so am looking forward to hearing from you.
Cheers guys
Justin:thumbsup:

why dont you email Bob Carver and ask his advice? go to the source when ever possible

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom