Low light snow photography

dafnpuppet

I'm going skiing to Finnish Lapland at christmas and was looking for some free advice on shooting snowy scenes in low light.
I have had some good results shooting snowy scenes in good light conditions by stopping up exposure +1 or +2 to compensate for metering errors.
My problem may come when shooting in low light, as it tends to get dark around 3PM and the floodlights take over.
I think static scenes should be pretty straightforward, but action / skiing shots may pose a problem in these conditions.

Any advice would be appreciated, I want to spend most of my time skiing, not endlessly experimenting with camera settings.

I am taking my Sony alpha350 with a minolta 35-70 F4 and also my F4 beercan.

weetsie

chances are under the floodlights you will be shooting wide open all the time. most of the time you will get away with iso 800-1600 with shutterspeeds up to 1/250 but im sure there will be times when you're at iso 3200 stuggling to get 1/125 shutter speeds.

last time i went i had a 24-70 on a 450D, i had an extra stop in aperture over you but a max iso of 1600 and i got on fine with that so you should be ok.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom