Low Light Gig Photography Lens (Canon 30D)

rapid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently got a Canon 30D and am looking to purchase my first lens. My main aim in photography is to photograph bands and gigs etc.. Generally I wont be using any form of tripod or monopod..

I've got around £500-£600 that I have put aside for lenses.

Now I've rounded it down to 3 options:

1. Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS
2. Canon 24-70mm 2.8L
3. Set of Primes: Sigma 30mm 1.4 + Canon 50mm 1.4 + Canon 85mm 1.8

Any thoughts? Any sugestions?

Many Thanks,
R

If you are able to position yourself at the front then that selection of lenses appears to be fine, you are right to get lenses as fast as you can.

IS won't really be of much value to you when photographing bands etc as you are going to need as high a shutter speed as possible in general terms.

My only other comment would be that you don't have much 'length' there so maybe look at putting the 70-200 f/2.8 on the list too (mega money though :()

I took some shots at a festival over the weekend with the 24-105 f/4 and could have got away with ISO-800 but kept it at ISO-1600 just to make sure. The shots are not too bad for noise on the 350d but the 30D should show an improvement at that ISO.

Hi Steve, you may remember giving me advice on home cinema photography; anyway I got a 30D and Canon 10 to 22mm in the end and very pleased with the results. I am also after a gig lens now as rapid.

I was looking at the canon EF135mm F2 for when in the 'pit' and something like a 50mm F1.4 for stage work. Or should I just save for the 70 to 200mm zoom F2.8 (its about £500 more)? Rapid, you tried anything yet?

Would the zoom be fast enough for dim stages etc, F2.8 vs F2/F1.4???

Thanks again,

Dupe…

It's a difficult one to say whether f/2.8 would be quick enough for all stage work, particularly if it was an energetic band where you needed a fast shutter to freeze the action. I managed with f/4 at ISO-1600 but the bands I tend to photograph may as well be asleep as far as movement is concerned.

This shot was taken at ISO-1600 @ f/4 and I managed a shutter of 1/125 (that with -2/3 exposure compensation on aperture priority) and at that speed I got no blur.........had it have been a heavy metal band it would have been very much different. (click the image for a link to the Flickr page.......I uploaded the full size image in this instance so you can see the results in full)

It depends entirely on where you will be, maybe try the 135mm f/2 and see how you go, a decent fast prime will give excellent results so maybe pair it with the 85mm f/1.8 and see how you are for length. It's all subjective but the rule must be to get lenses as fast as you can IMO.

Thanks for your reply steve. I'm not too bothered about length at the moment as I will mostly be shooting quite small venues.. altho i would definately like a 70-200 2.8 IS (no money for it tho)..

Just cant decide which to go for.. I cant afford them all, so its either option 1 2 or 3..

Not tried any lenses yet, my friend has his 30d paired up with a 50mm 1.4 which looks to be a good combination, but I dont really want to be limited to 1 focal length... plus I just dont know how easy it is going to be changing lenses whilst in the crowd/mosh etc..

hmmm, read great reviews of both 17-55 and 24-70... the 24-70 looks to be the business build wise.. but the 17-55 is a nice range on a 30d drop sensor..

Not easy to decide..

I have a Canon 30D with 17-85 IS lens and at a, don't laugh, Steven Seagal concert obtained these shots.

Had the 30D set to ISO 1600, spot metering and 5fps. Shooting multiple shots ensured sharpness.

I was to the back of the hall and set the lens to 85mm. I am extemely pleased with the results, especially for the quality at ISO 1600.

And yes it was a very good concert:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Steven Seagal 22012007 (63).JPG
    Steven Seagal 22012007 (63).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 834
  • Steven Seagal 22012007 (166).JPG
    Steven Seagal 22012007 (166).JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 867
I was to the back of the hall and set the lens to 85mm. I am extemely pleased with the results, especially for the quality at ISO 1600.
And yes it was a very good concert[/quote

Steve Seagal :eek:!.. It was a Concert for charity wasnt it?:rotfl: OK ,it was ( as you say a very good concert)

Seriously though considering the 17-85 is an f4 ( possible 5.6 at 85mm) IS notwithstanding .. you did well!:smashin:
The 30D at high ISO +/- some NR can get amazing low light shots I suspect any of the OPs list will do just fine.. I worry about Primes though. A gig is no place to be swapping lenses ( I think)

Steve Seagal :eek:!.. It was a Concert for charity wasnt it?:rotfl: OK ,it was ( as you say a very good concert)

We didn't know what to expect and it really was a pleasant surprise.

Steven Seagal can sing the blues and not a kungfu move in sight:D

But back to the photography... the images from the 30D really pleased me and proves what an excellent camera it is.

Attachments

• IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 753
Steven Seagal can sing the blues and not a kungfu move in sight:D
:rotfl:!! Ill remember that when next i see him in a movie ; Im yet to watch "Flight of Fury" had it for a month now.. maybe this weekend..:rolleyes:
But back to the photography... the images from the 30D really pleased me and proves what an excellent camera it is.

Shows how much better the 40D has to be:cool:

The Greenwich Museum at night (22.19) : From a boat on the Thames with the 30D 17-85 at ISO 800
The green laser from the observatory is clearly visible ( click for larger image)

Because you are on crop i'd say the 17-55mm but depends if you are intending to be down the front unless you are planning on going to any festivals I don't see why you would need a 70-200mm on a crop sensor personally I would call that overkill up untill large arenas/stadiums and festivals.

I'm planning to purchase a 24-70mm as I am now shooting full frame and although I am generally happy with f4 could do with the extra stop.

Stu

How about option #2, and then pick up a Canon 50mm 1.8 also (as they're only £60)? That way you have a reasonable amount of movement on lense 1 for wide / zoom shots, or the 50mm for stage work?

I don't see why you would need a 70-200mm on a crop sensor personally I would call that overkill up untill large arenas/stadiums and festivals.

It depends how close you want to get to the action or if you are looking to photograph the drummer at the rear of the stage for instance. 85mm may get you the person in frame, but for close action cropping down at high ISO isn't going to get you a very good quality shot.

Hi, guys :)

I'd like to sneak in on this topic for similar reasons.

I have a 30D, and I'm planning on going to the Manchester Pride Festival on Sunday- hopefully I'll get some pictures of stuff and particularly of acts I'm going to see.

I don't want to lug a bunch of stuff though...
Between my Sigma 30/1.4, 70-300 APO, and Tamron 1-50/2.8 (with or without a 1.4x kenko tele) I'm wondering what to take.

I think the sensible thing would be the Tamron and high ISO- it should be fairly light if the weather's ok at least until well into the night. I mostly don't want to lug a DSLR to Manchester and come back with nothing like any cool pictures so I'd be grateful for any advice :)

Taking the Tamron and relying on the TC to give you the extra reach will affect the speed of the lens, so you won't be able to shot at f/2.8 when using it if I am not mistaken. Having said that, if you don't fancy lugging the 70-300 about then this seems the ideal solution, I can't see you needing 300mm unless you are miles away. You will just need to use a higher ISO to keep your shutter speeds up. With exposure compensation I think you can get ISO-3200 on the 30D.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom