• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Low light Digital Compact

AlanJ

Standard Member
Sorry to post another "recommend me a camera thread", but I feel as though I've read millions of them and I'm none the wiser.

For the last 2 years or so, I've been using a Sony Cybershot T7, and I love the way I can just fit it in my pocket wherever I go. Unfortunately, when I get it out to take some photos in low light situations (street lighting or in a pub or restaurnat) they come out really blurry. So, I figured it must be time to upgrade, but I seem to have wondered into a minefield. Everyone seems to agree that the Fujifilm F31d is the best low light digital compact, but it's a bit bigger than I'm looking for (nearly twice the depth of the T7), so I'm trying to avoid it if I can.
I don't need professional huge prints, just photos that I can look at without them being blurry and having streaks of light all over the place (I'm assuming image stabilisation will help with this).

I think I've narrowed my choices down to the following, but I'm open to any other suggestions:

Another cybershot - T10, T20, T50, T100. I'm a bit lost on the naming conventions and I'm not sure which ones are supposed to be replacements for which models (from the specs I couldn't tell you which was better out of the T10 and the T20).

Something from the cybershot W series, probably the W80, W90 or W100 - A lot of reviews of these seem to suggest they have poor low light capabilities.

Panasonic Lumix - The FX50 is a bit too thick for my liking, but the FX30 looks quite nice. Also the 28mm wide angle lens seems like it would be a good thing. There's also the FX33 and the FX55 which are both a bit thinner than the FX50, but I can't find anywhere that sells them, are they out yet?
Again, I've seen a few reviews that criticise the low light capabilities of these.

Canon Ixus - One of the IS models, all seem a bit too thick for my liking, but from the sounds of it I would be getting the best overall camera if I got one of these.

Basically, I just want something that doesn't take worse photos than the T7 in any conditions as I don't want to have to carry two cameras around with me.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Alan

Cunny

I have just bought a T100 and I would say my initial description of low light images is 'grainy'.
Is this usual for these compact cameras?

I got it specifically to take photos on nights out in low light environments such as restaurants, bars and pubs.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom