1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low-Light capability?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by bravo, Jan 10, 2003.

1. bravo

bravo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am looking for a fairly inexpensive Digital Camcorder, with reasonable features list including DV in/out (though not , external Mic, LCD screen etc - all the usual featurs. Nothing new here.

However, one of my key requirements is that I want to use it to film footage of LaserQuest. You may or may not be familiar with LaserQuest but essentially it's a laser tag game played in a fairly dark environment similar to a nightclub. I'm after some advice on, firstly, whether I should be looking for COLOUR low light capability over black and white (colour would be ideal for me because the players have different coloured lights on the equipment) as I am well aware that the changes to aperture/shutter speed result in pretty grainy images, particularly colour footage. Secondly, assuming there's a consensus on B/W or Colour, which company's system do you think delivers the highest-quality picture?

Your opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated; camcorder reviews in magazines etc. generally skip over this feature with merely "it's there", which doesn't really help!

Thanks very much in advance!:)

2. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check a Camcorder's specification for 'Lux Level'. The lower the Lux Level, the better the camcorder being able to record good to reasonable footage in low light areas (i.e. indoors at night)
    Also, have at Sony's range of c/c's, as they have a feature known as 'Nightshot' meaning they can record at short range in the dark.
    (Picture quality about the same as Wildlife programmes on TV recording footage of Animals in the pitch black of night)

Hope this helps.

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, haven't played LaserQuest since I was about 16. If they're still using the same equipment you may find you have a bit of a problem videoing.
    The problem will be that youu camera will try to open the aperture and slow down the shutter to the point where those LEDs all over the players become both alarmingly bright and very indistinct. Basically you'll get footage of a bunch of danicing bright lights ie Nothing like what you wanted to film. Going to black and white won't solve this problem, and the only solution I can think of is to try to manually control the shutter speed and hope for the best.