1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

low level volume problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by greg_, May 28, 2005.

1. greg_

greg_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope someone can help me out.
    I've an A300 cambridge amp and a pair of mission 781 speakers.
    Basically, at low volume, the sound disappears from the right channel before the left.
    It's not that low a volume, the sort of level i listen to late at night.
    It's not the speaker, as the problem remains on the right if i switch the speakers.
    Is it just the difference between the bass and treble? Or could my amp be causing problems? Or is it because the speakers are designed for higher volumes?
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, it's decent kit but i'm not that much in the know i'm afraid. :)
    cheers.

2. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If this happens with all CDs, I'd guess it's a problem with your amp (or with the source you're using - does it happen if you run the amp off a different source?) Sorry to state the blindingly obvious, but the first thing to do if make sure the balance on your amp is set mid-way between left and right...

If there is a problem with your amp and it's under guarantee, you're probably best just taking it to the store to get reparied (if it's just a year or so old and out of guarantee you could always try taking it back to Richer Sounds, assuming you bought it from there, pref when the store's busy ;) and asking them nicely if they'll fix it or do you a trade in...). If it's out of guarantee, others on the forum may be able to suggest a way you could repair it yourself (I can't).

Jon

3. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It sounds like poor volume control tracking between the channels. Thatt's a common problem with amplifiers (even some very expensive ones have been known to suffer from this.) I'm assuming that the balance is OK with the volume control at high levels, but goes off as you turn it down.

If the problem occurs when you're using a CD player one possible solution would be to put an attenuator in the output from the CD player. You have about 16db excess gain in the amp so you could try 10db attenuation which may let you use the balanced part of the volume controls range.

Bill

4. greg_

greg_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It happens with all sources.
    I have been given various other explanations, some suggest that the amp is at fault as you mention. Another person said that it might be the design. Another said it is a characteristic of these Cambridge amps.
    When searching google I came across a review of the A4 amp (I think) which mentioned what sounds like the same problem.

5. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bill may well be right in what he's saying if the problem only takes place at low volume levels - you could well fix this using attenuators, and if it's out of guarantee this is probably the first thing to try.

That said, though, if the amp's under guarantee I'd be inclined to take it back unless you particularly like it - it's either a fault in your amp or seems like a design flaw, and personally I'd be reluctant to try to have to fork out to buy attenuators myself. This doesn't affect all cambridge amps (my a500 doesn't have this problem), but I don't think I've heard an a4 at low volume.

Jon