Low level from sub in stereo

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by sparticus, Nov 24, 2004.

1. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    Returning to this malarkey after years of money in pocket! Have had lots of hifi/home cinema over the years but had about 10yrs off. Just bought Yam htr5630 and pio 565 hooked up to mission m3s. Sounds are great with movies as usual but stereo could be better. Sub integrates ok using digital coax, amp switched to stereo playing cds. However when i use the 5.1 input the sub hardly makes an effort. Luckily the 565 has bass management and have had to set this to sub max and surrounds to min. Amp set to speakers small bass to sub and sub connected with lfe cable. BTW I first purchased the mission m7s setup and that was just awful. Only had them for 3wks before selling. I see mag reviews are no more useful now than 20yrs ago! It would be great if someone could shed some light.
    best wishes

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    With 5.1 input do you mean the analog multi-channel input or a digital input?
    What's your source material and what sound format do you play / select?

Note: Depending on the settings of the amp the sub will (should) remain silent in stereo, only if you set the front speakers to SMALL the sub would be active.

3. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    Many thanks for reply.
    I am using the analogue multi channel inputs, coax unplugged, playing a cd(in other words the 565 dac). Amp set - speakers to small with bass directed to sub. Sound from sub very quiet. If i turn gain up on sub its way over top when watching a movie through the digital coax.

If I play a cd through the coax digital in, then set the amp to stereo mode its using the digital in (and therefore the amp dac). The sub does work this way. I only really have a problem with the analogue inputs. I hope ive managed to explain things better!
    cheers

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ok, I think I understand now. Seems there is a problem with the bass-management then in the 565 when using the analog input. This might be a product problem, though it's hard to tell if it's a SW bug or hardware fault.

Since CD and sub work fine via the digital input can't you leave it at that? Or is the sound of the 565's decoder so much better?