1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low Level buzzing sound

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gary D, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Hi all,

I've noticed that my amp (Yamaha 620) has buzzing sound in all the speakers its very low and cant really be heard until i turn it right the way up i.e -20db with no source being played. Also when i've got my freeview box connected to my amp, and i turn it up (i.e -20db and above i can here it very faintly even though DVD is selected)

Now the weird thing is when i turn off the surround circuits (so it just two channel stereo) the buzzing goes away. This leads me to think that the surround circuits are cream crackered (or at least not functioning as they should.)

My first thought was a dodgy speaker connections but as it goes away i under stereo conditions i've ruled that out.

Its not a major problem as under normal conditions i cant here it - but i know its there now and its going to bug the hell out of me.

any ideas, thoughts would be welcome.

cheers

gary

2. Big Bert

Big Bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Gary,

SNAP.

I have exactly the same problem with my Yamaha 620. As you say, once you notice it, you hear it all the time.

I'm now looking for a replacement, yep it's an expensive buzzin.

Unless of course someone out there knows that this can be fixed easily.

Gordon.

3. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try disconnecting one source at a time, to see if the buzz goes away. It kinda sounds like a grounding problem, or perhaps noise is being inserted somewhere in the loop. Hopefully, the source of the noise is external!

4. Big Bert

Big Bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for that jeff-o. Like you I thought that it was some sort of grounding problem, but couldn't clear it by removing sources.

Selecting 6CH Input, there is no buzz at any volume. Unlike Gary though, I do still hear a buzzing in Stereo Mode (you need to turn the volume up a bit higher though).

Anybody else got any ideas??

Gordon

5. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  6. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Bert, sounds strange but i'm glad i'm not the only one :cool: The only sources i have coonected too my amp are my DVD (Coaxial) and my xbox (Optical) so i dont think it can be the sources.

I'll have a read through jones grounding document to see if that will help.

If push comes to shove i can have it repaired or replaced (I had the extra cover when i bought it :clap:)

thanks everyone

(Bert if you do cure it can you pleae let me know how you did it etc.)

cheers all

Gary

7. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In another thread someone was saying that such buzzing problems may also be caused by faulty mains. What kind of power bar are you using? Is the equipment grounded?

You may also want to attach the cases of the equipment connected electrically (ie. using a digital coax or RCA pairs) together with a length of wire to keep the cases at a common potential.

Finally, if there is a problem with the grounds in the whole house, you could try using a ground loop isolator, basically a big 1:1 transformet that goes in between the mains and your equipment.

Ummmm, you could also try disconnecting any electronics in your house that generate radio waves or use big motors...

I suppose you could also call an electrician and see what he says.

Oh! Bring your stereo to a friend's house and see if the problem happens there, too!

Ok, now that's all I can think of. :)

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Had a bit of a reverlation last night. the buzzing disappears when i turn the source on! i had the amp volume on full when my daughter turned on the DVD player by mistake. as soon as the green power light came on the buzzing fell silent. therefore whatever buzzing there is isn't affecting the sound i here when watching a movie :clap:

Bert can you give a go tell if it works for you too?

Gary

9. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I've got the same amp - and the buzzing too...again, it's not that loud, but once you're aware of it then...I will try your tip tho GaryD...

10. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Mr Cat, will you post and let me know how you get on?

:thumbsup:

Gary

11. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, no probs, but thinking about it...I always leave my kit on 24/7 (excpet when I have a shower, *BoomBoom*) - but I could perhaps try turning it off then on..??

just that I have no problems at all with my Nad...