1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low hum on HF - REL Quake

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Airmatix, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Airmatix

Airmatix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I've installed my new Yamaha 640RDS amp. Everything hooked up fine, and sounds great.

Just one problem: When I went to hook up the HF channel on my REL Quake, the sub started humming. Here's the way it's set up:

- Quake hooked up to standard sub-woofer output via RCA for LF
    - HF (Neutrik connector) plugs into the sub
    - I've hooked up the other end of the HF cable to the Speaker B output for the main speakers, so that I can turn it on and off at will

However, the subwoofer starts humming the moment I plug in the Neutrik connector. Even when the other end of the cable is NOT PLUGGED into the amp, the sub still hums as soon as I plug in the Neutrik cable.

I obviously thought I wired the Neutrik plug incorrectly, but then I borrowed one from a mate who has been using his cable succesfully on an MJ Accoustics sub, without any humming.

Can it be that I have a defective amp? Or does REL use a different wiring-setup than some of the other manufacturers?

Has anybody else hooked up their Quakes through the Neutrik HF connector?

Any help is welcomed!

2. hindutimes

hindutimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    High Level wiring is exactly the same with other subs like MJA
    I do have REL Quake and I utilized both L/H connections simulteneously with no problems.

The problem your seeing is the same as if you have open connection or unterminated connection. It happens to me one time when I plugged the neutrik from sub while power is on and the other end of the terminals (3 wires) are unterminated then i got huge humming sound.

It seem like your high level connection from your Yamaha speaker terminal B is considered as open whenever you select speaker terminal A. But not really sure though as I'm using VSX2011. somebody might give a better comment on this.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know about Neutrik connectors but the REL XLR connectors are certainly wired in a non standard way. The technical support people at REL are very helpful so telephone them and ask. The telephone number should be on their website which is www.rel.net

4. dongagon

dongagon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Did You ever manage to solve the subwoofer hum

5. Airmatix

Airmatix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope - I never did. I got side-tracked with new projects, and completely forgot about it until last week. I've been meaning to speak to REL about it, but I just haven't had the time to sit down and suss it out.

In the mean time I've been running my sub just on a single phono lead, from the Subwoofer output on my amp. It is fine for most situations, and movies sound great. Its really just when it comes to music, where the sub is now mostly inactive...

6. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I had a similar problem with my A1 and REL Strata 3.

What happens if you touch the screws on the REL amp, or the 'phono ground screw' on the back of the yamaha?

The amp and sub are both double insulated and not grounded which causes a problem of 'ground reference' between the two.

I grounded the A1's phono screw to earth and the problem went away.

Worth a try!!

7. Airmatix

Airmatix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, you may now laugh loudly in my face:

I ran straight to the lounge to try this solution. I pluuged the Neutrik back in, and the hum started, then I moved the wall unit do I could get to the back of my amp. This involved knocking over a potted plant and spraying dirt all over the place, dislodgine my ADSL line causing a big upload to fail and demolishing an African statuette my wife loves. Only to find that my amp, being of the AV variety, doesn't have a phono socket or earth screw. Lovely.

Thanks for the tip anyway - I'm sure there must be a way to cure this, but for now I think I'm going to hoover the lounge and re-plant the plant...

8. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    :D

....then go out and buy my wife a big bunch of flowers to say sorry. Your setup's WAF just went down a notch or two. ;)

9. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'd suggest a VERY big bunch of flowers :)

To try to salvage something - I think you overlooked the first part of my suggestion, which was to find one of the metal screws on the amp attached to the sub and touch them.

It may even work if you touch the outer part of an empty phono socket.

Sorry to cause you the hassle!!

10. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I think Hintutimes was correct.

You should leave the speaker B selected and turn down the high level gain when you are not using it.
    Otherwise the high level cable is not earthed at the amplifier end and will pick up mains hum.

11. dongagon

dongagon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had exactly the same problem with my BKXL200.

I was connecting the Hi Level input on the Sub to the B speaker terminals on the amp, thats when i got the hum.

I then changed the wiring so that the Hi level input went to the A speaker terminals (the same as the front Left and Right) and the humming stopped completly.

I was surprised but happy with the outcome.

12. bigmacx

bigmacx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Are the amp and sub plugged into the same extension lead? If not you may want to try it.
    System hum can be caused by the sub and the amp not sharing a common earth.
    Hope this helps,

Mac.

13. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I had hum when upgrading my kef sub for MJ Pro 150. Read all about ground loops etc. It turned out to be the quality of the extension lead. Try using a QUALITY 4-gang like the Olsen Sound Fantastic range. Sorted my hum:clap: