Question Low Gain setting?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Doctor Smith, Jan 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    I have setup my BK Electronics P12-300SB. using the Denon Audyssey seup and set all speakers to small. I have been watching a few films and I find the base can be a bit full on at times. Lovely in other areas though.

When I used the Audyssey setup the low level gain was set to half way

I have looked at the level settings on my amp and it is set to -12DB which is the lowest it will go.

So Im thinking should I set the low gain to a quarter and the run setup again? My thinking is the level may need to go lower.

So my question is when using Audyessy what should the low gain be set to?

Thanks

2. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Never having had an AVR with Audyssey on it i can't give a definitive answer, however, as a general rule i would level match all speaker outputs including the sub (using an SPL meter) prior to running Audyssey.
    Are you just using the Low level connection, or using High level as well?
    From the P12-300SB manual:
    SETTING UP YOUR P12-300 !
    1. Adjust the gain control until the level of the bass from your subwoofer matches the level from your main system speakers. As
    a rule it is not usually necessary to have the subwoofer at high volume levels, but to have it gently supporting the main speakers.

Normally i'd suggest somewhere around 10 - 11 o'clock position is a good level to start at.
    I'd also reset the sub trim levels to '0' when you do this, once you are happy with the result rerun Audyssey and see what it gives you, if the sub trim level is still a very high Negative number, back the volume off on the sub a bit more.

3. mattycarroll

mattycarroll
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have this amp and just had the same issue with a subwoofer. I had to turn my gain to about 9pm which is about 25% volume and then the amp sets the sub at -1.5db which I'm happy with. At 50% gain it was also at -12db.

4. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    What is Trim levels?

5. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Trim levels are what is set in the AVR by the bass management/eq system, you said your sub(Trim level) was -12dB, oh and you can tweak these after you've run Audyssey, although most people increase (sometimes referred to as running 'Hot')

6. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Yup -12db is the number you do not want. Run it again at 10clock. Frequency knob to 120hz max, Phase 0, Auto Mode OFF, Filter OUT/LFE before running.

Now it should come back much lower. As Frank said you can tweak the subwoofer level (at avr menu) later. Leave the knobs alone.

7. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +706
    I've read a little, but I'm still not totally clear what the phase setting does, can someone enlighten me ?

8. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Puts the sub into or out of phase with the main speakers, normally if your sub is up front with the main speakers, you'd have it set to '0', sometimes due to sub placement the phase is out of sync with the mains, you can then use this to bring it back in sync ....... worth sometimes having a bit of a play with the phase to see what gives you the best bass response.

9. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,040
    A little explanation here may help and far quicker than me typing :D

Setting Subwoofer Phase the Easy Way

10. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Chris Kyriakakis from Audussey;

"Phase is also not useful in subwoofers because it only makes adjustments at one frequency (that they conveniently don't mention in the manual). It's best left at 0°. "

Audussey Guide;

Phase controls on subwoofers apply "delay" at one frequency rather than the needed group delay that is frequency-independent. So, it is best to just leave them at “0”.

Audussey 101;

If there is a Phase control on the sub it should be set to 0°

Tom from PSA;

With our stuff it’s pretty easy because we don’t have any unnecessary controls. At least 90 percent of the customers have Audyssey, so we tell them to set the subwoofer’s phase control at 0 degrees..