1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low Gain Screens - Too much for Sim2?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Guzi, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Guzi

Guzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've projected the Domino30H at our showroom on a Meler Fixed Low Gain Screen (Grey) and I was impressed. The depth in the picture was something out of this world - truly awesome. Has anyone of you tried the Domino30H on a similar screen - and if yes, what are your reactions? However, I'm getting slightly pre-occupied of whether one should suggest similar low-gain screens with these already high contrast projectors. A relatively matte screen would always deliver more 'natural colours' - without the 'reaction' of the grey hue of low gain screens that tend slightly to off-set the whites, and enhance the blacks due its light absorption qualities. Moreover, when one considers the already low brightness of the projector and the high contrast it can achieve, a 'low gain' screen appears not reccomendable. Notwithstanding all this, what I can say is that I was realy impressed by the depth in field the picture attains - Sorry to mix you all up, but is this a case where 'TASTE' is involved? Perhaps with all the calibration software, projector screens and specs circulating on magazines, it is down to something really PERSONAL that makes a client and a piece of high end AV equipment click - I would like Sim 2 to provide us distributors with more details in regards to what screens (no need to go into mentioning brands) THEY use to calibrate projectors. I'm sure they went into detail in this regards - perhaps, a good technical paper would help us UNDERSTAND better the important relationship between the screen(its fabrics/reflective properties) and SIM2 projectors.

Thanks and well done for keeping this forum so exciting,
    Josef Debattista
    B.A. Hons., CCPD
    Cedia Certified Designer
    Malta

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Josef

Glad to hear you are finding the Sim2 forum useful.

I have done a lot of experimenting with various screens with the Sim2 projectors and have come to the conclusion that the best results have been with white screens with a gain of up to 1.3.

As you rightly said, they are not the brightest projectors on the market, but considering they only use a 120w lamp, they do an amazing job. The 300E is getting a lot of positve feedback on the AVS Forum where people are commenting on how bright the projector is.

In a light controlled environment with a white, 1.2 gain 104 inch wide screen we are getting fabulous results with the Sim2 range.

Jeff :rtfm: