• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Low form factor\Horizontal NAS?

PerfectBlue97

I'm looking for a home NAS to use as a media store. I only really need a basic box that support UPNP and Samba (Android access would be nice, but is not essential).

My main requirement is that it needs to either be able to be horizontally mounted or to have a low form factor. As I need to be able to fit it in a space that's only 5 1\2 inches high.

It will have an air gap over 1 metre in front and behind it, so air flow isn't an issue as long as it vents through the back or sides, and not the top.

I'm looking to buy a system off the rack, not build my own.

PerfectBlue97

How many disks are you looking for, or how much space?

I'm limited by the physical dimensions of the space where the NAS is going to go.

Realistically, most home NAS are either going to be 1 or 2 disc, and they will come empty or will have a minimum of 1TB of storage.

I doubt that I will find a 3 or 4 disc NAS in my price range, or which will fit into that space (A Rack mounted office NAS would fit, but would be too expensive).

PerfectBlue97

There are dozens.

Synology DS212j for instance. Just turn it on it's side.

It's one of the ones that I'm considering. It's on the PCPro A-list at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom